element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

He Didn’t Text You Back but That’s Ok

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

None of us want to be that girl that freaks out when a guy we like doesn’t text back, but I think it’s safe to say that most of us have had those moments where we are caught in this exact situation. Say you met a guy, think he was amazing, hang out, go on some dates, and you figure you really like him and could see the relationship growing further. Everything’s going great! But one day, out of the blue, you don’t hear back from him and he won’t answer your texts. Nothing. Just dead silence…What happened?! Familiar enough, right?

Unfortunately, we don’t exactly have an answer to that question, but we do have reasons why not hearing back from him is probably for the best.  If you find that you’ve caught with feelings for a guy that just randomly ceases all communication with you, it’s okay because:

1. He’s probably up to no good  

Image via Giphy.com

Now this guy could’ve simply not been looking for a relationship with you, but failed miserably to relay that information. It could also be that he was just looking for a quick hook up. His mistake. Don’t sweat not hearing from him anymore if you suspect that these were his only intentions. Keep in mind that his perception of you is not reflective of who you are, that’s way too much emotional drainage to put yourself through for someone who’s not even worth the time. This is good news for future relationships though! You’ll be able to fully communicate what you are looking for when you meet someone new again, and you’ll know to insist that he do the same to avoid any misunderstandings and hurt feelings. 

2. He’s probably not even someone you’d want to be with anyway

Image via Giphy.com

In some cases, his lack of communication could result from the fact that he’s genuinely busy, but if this is a reoccurring thing where he’s extremely inconsistent, constantly making excuses that don’t add up, or waiting days to respond to a simple text when you know damn well he has his phone on him, we’re pretty sure that he’s probably not someone you could depend on a in a potential dating or long-term relationship (if that’s what you were hoping for), because he may no longer have interest in or feelings for you. Instead of simply making that clear to you, he chose to cut off all communication.

Though this may be painful to acknowledge, it’s better to consider that this might be true rather than wasting time and energy wondering if he still reciprocates those feelings that he’d once displayed. Maybe it’s better to let it go. While this is easier said than done, especially if you’ve developed strong feelings for this person, there are ways to get over him.

One way to help you get over him as a potential partner is to ask yourself if you’d recommend someone who didn’t have the decency to provide closure to a friend to date, or even your future daughter. If your answer is “no,” it might be pretty easy to question yourself on why you even wanted to be with him in the first place.

3. You can focus on yourself  

Image via Giphy.com

Keep in mind that if he doesn’t have the decency to end a relationship properly and tell you upfront if he is no longer interested, whatever his reason may be, he wasn’t worth your time to begin with and didn’t respect you enough in one of the most important ways. Don’t stress over him, you’re good! If you’ve accepted that he probably wasn’t right for you, you can now figure out what you really want and hope to gain in a future relationship. While you do this, keep doing your own thing! Go out, meet new people, get your nails done, hang out with friends, go see a movie, eat tons of junk food, study harder! You’ll fall for meet someone new sooner or later. For now just love and focus on yourself. 

Image via Giphy.com

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)