Fall Style Essentials: UCSB Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Here in SoCal seasons do not truly exist, especially here at UCSB where it’s a beach paradise 365 days a year. When it comes to dressing for the transition from hot “summer” days to cooler “fall” nights and mornings it can be a real struggle. Here are a few simple suggestions to keep you looking stylish for fall and true to your beach vibes, without really worrying about the changing temperatures.

TOPS:

Inner layer: Tank tops Let’s be real, the weather is finicky out here. It can be 60 degrees when you leave for your 8am and then 80 degrees when you leave that same class. Tank tops make it super easy to stay cool and collected even in the face of SoCal fall.

Pair with: Cardigans or flannels

Both flannels and cardigans pair well with tank tops since they help to keep you from freezing on your way to morning classes. Cardigans will give you a bit of a classy, elegant look, whereas flannels will provide a more casual, laid back flair to your outfit. As an added bonus, both options are a fun way to incorporate fall colors into your wardrobe.

For example: 

BOTTOMS:

Shorts or skirts

Not only do skirts and shorts make the weather easier to deal with, they also are an absolute style essential here in IV. Because come on, who enjoys having to roll up jeans to take a stroll on the beach? No one.

Pair with: Long socks or patterned tights

Long socks and patterned tights are essentially the cardigan and flannel of shorts and skirts. They add a really cute, stylish touch to your outfit and help transition your summer wardrobe to a trendy fall one.

For Example: 

SHOES:

Slip-ons

Slip-ons are a super cute and convenient fall alternative to sandals. Some of them are also extremely comfortable too, perfect for those long walks from campus to IV! Besides, if you don’t own one pair of canvas shoes, do you really live by the beach?

Boots

Because even though we do live in a beach paradise, what is fall without a pair of boots? Whether you’re sporting knee high leather boots or basic UGGS, fall is not fall without some form of boots.

HAIR ACCESSORIES:

This is probably the most important of all the style essentials for us struggling students. The wind is too harsh in the fall to not use any hair accessories whatsoever. No one likes their hair whipping them in the face as they bike into the wind on their way to or from class. Hair ties, scrunchies, bows, head bands, etc. are all great ways to save your style this fall.

Deyana Gorman is a second year pre-biology major at the University of California Santa Barbara from Simi Valley, California. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Deyana can usually be found watching her favorite youtubers, hanging out with friends, playing video games, brushing up on her photography skills, or doing activities with her sorority sisters. She plans on one day studying abroad in Italy, Ireland, and Australia as well as going on road trip adventures throughout California.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay