Diagnosis: Spring Fever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

There’s something in the air this spring that no allergy medicine can subdue. It’s contagious, and it has contaminated the trees, the birds, the students, maybe even the occasional professor. It’s an outbreak of spring fever—a familiar phrase with a mysterious meaning. Who knew it was a real condition—one that you may be experiencing yourself?

Spring fever refers to the carefree temperament that seems to settle over many during these sunny months.  Everyone gets a little friendlier after shaking the gloom of winter off his or her shoulders. Little do they know, changes are occurring in more areas than just the weather.

Over winter, the body stores up a neurotoxin called melatonin, which is responsible for waking and sleeping cues. Once the cold weather subsides, so do melatonin levels, and this chemical drop results in greater wakefulness. Maybe you’ve noticed that those 8:00A.M. classes aren’t quite as painful as they were last quarter? Well okay, some things never change. In addition, studies have revealed people have higher serotonin levels in the spring. Serotonin is the mood-boosting chemical responsible for all those springtime smiles.

Not only is there more happiness to go around, but there is more time for it to spread as the days stretch longer and longer. While it often takes a while for the shock of a sunny 7:00P.M. to fade away, your body is way ahead of your mind. Human eyes detect longer days almost immediately, and this triggers increased levels of testosterone, estrogen, and endorphins as the body begins to adjust to longer periods of activity.

But why do all these chemical changes suddenly happen in the spring? Why not in winter, when we need some extra happiness to fight the bitter cold? One theory suggests spring fever originates from cavemen, and back in the day it was nature’s way of kicking humans and other animals back into gear after months of hibernation. Wake up, have babies.

Some people think of spring as a time when love is in the air, and sexual tension is at its tautest between boys and girls of all ages. While spring is in fact the season with the highest rate of unplanned pregnancies in women, and greatest sperm count in males, it is not actually the peak sex season—fall is. Spring is not the time for babies to be made. It’s for them to be born. This is when the land is most fertile and conditions are ideal for youngsters. While humans no longer adhere as closely to nature’s suggestions, evidence of this is in rows of ducklings trailing behind their momma ducks during May. Or herds of raccoons parading through UCSB’s campus at night.

So grab a tissue for your nose, a cough drop for your throat, and some CVS knockoff of Claritin for any other symptoms you may be suffering, but face the fact that there is no cure for spring fever. But is that really so bad? As Robin Williams said, “Spring is nature’s way of saying, ‘Let’s party’.” Can’t argue with that.

Sources

Elizabeth ('12) is studying Communication and Professional Multimedia Writing at UC Santa Barbara. Born and raised in Calabasas, California, she is a valley girl at heart, but loves spending her time in big cities or at the beach. Elizabeth is currently interning at Santa Barbara Magazine, and is also a writer and reporter for the food, arts, and entertainment sections of her university's newspaper. After a semester studying abroad in Europe, she spent the past summer in New York City as an editorial intern at TV Guide Magazine through the highly competitive ASME Summer Internship Program. Aside from previous internships including a local radio station, Elizabeth worked in Los Angeles at FOX 11 KTTV as a production intern for the top-rated morning show, Good Day L.A and FOX 11 News, and was also recently published in Seventeen magazine. An entertainment fanatic, Elizabeth has interviewed E!'s Giuliana Rancic, the cast of Glee, Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and more. She is also a dedicated member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, and served her chapter as Vice President and executive board member. When she's not editing Her Campus articles, you can expect to find her at the gym, shopping, eating chocolate, or watching any show on Bravo. Elizabeth is preparing for a career in print or broadcast journalism, and loves working for Her Campus!