Up Close and Personal with Internal Vice President: Kyley Scarlet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

There’s no doubt that Kyley Scarlet is a busy college student. From Internal Vice President to a member of the Greek Community, this girl has got it going on! Her hard work and numerous accomplishments make her a unique and incredible member of the UCSB community. Luckily, I was able to steal her away from her busy schedule this week to get to know her even better! 

Major: Theater (Minor: Women, Culture, and Development)

Hometown: Los Angeles, CA

Year: Fourth Year

1. What exactly does your position entail as VP of UCSB? 

As Internal Vice President of Associated Students, I am in charge of all of the internal affairs within the Association. The Association consists of over 30 Boards, Committees, and Commissions, as well as Executive offices and a Senate. One of my biggest responsibilities is to sit as the chair of the AS Senate. I am also the representative of Associated Students on multiple committees that deal with campus issues. I am a part of the following University committees: Calendar committee, Campus Elections Committee, Events Center Governance Board, UCEN Governance Board, Faculty Legislature, Parking Ratepayers Board, Student Fee Advisory Committee, and Transportation Alternative Board.

2. What made you want to get involved with AS?

I got involved in Associated Students my freshman year as a Committee Liaison for Media Relations, one of the committees. I mainly got involved because I had been a part of student government throughout middle school and wanted to continue that here. I was highly interested in Advertising and it sounded like the perfect committee for me. I then became the Major Events Coordinator for the office of the External Vice President of Local Affairs office. Finally, I sat on Senate last year as an off-campus Senator and now here I am!

3. What are some of the major changes you hope to see at UCSB this year?

My biggest goal is to increase the transparency and efficiency of Associated Students this year. There are SO many amazing events and opportunities within AS and I want every student to know about them. Within UCSB, I want to increase the student representation on all of the committees that students before us fought so hard to get representation on; it is so important that we continue to have shared governance on this campus. Finally, I want to help facilitate the many creative and inspiring minds that are working within this association. The members of AS as well as the students of UCSB are more than welcome to take initiative and suggest ideas to AS. If I can help them in any way, I’m just working towards my goal. Everyone within AS is here to make a difference and to make UCSB a better place, which is why I love surrounding myself with these great people!

4. What other organizations are you apart of?

I am also a part of one of the sororities on campus, Kappa Alpha Theta, where I served as President for one year.

5. What is your favorite thing to do in Santa Barbara?

My favorite thing to do in Santa Barbara is to go to bagel café and eat breakfast on the beach with my best friends.

6. Most embarrassing moment as a college student so far?

My most embarrassing moment actually occurred right before I was officially a student at UCSB. It was at orientation and I had just gotten into my group, which if you remember, consisted of about 10 people. We were with our O-Staff leader and were heading to our classroom. REMINDER: we had not met yet. On the walk there, I kid you not, as my O-Staff leader is saying “watch out for the bike paths,” I  of course step out onto the bike path and get TAKEN out. I try to play it cool, but of course I’m limping to our classroom and my leg is covered in blood. I had also made the poor decision to dye my hair to a somewhat red-ish color… so I was already looking a little crazy. We finally reached the classroom and my O-Staff leader asked me to go to the bathroom to “clean up.” I’m still close with almost all of the people from my orientation group, however, they did tell me later that I was known as the “bike girl” for the first day and that they were all a little skeptical of me. Therefore, I refuse to ride a bike and walk everywhere… even to this day.

7. If there was any celebrity you could ask to a date party who would it be?

If I could take any celebrity to a date party, I would 100% take Ryan Gosling. I would be his bird any day (if you haven’t seen the movie, I’m probably sounding like a crazy person).

8. Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

I have no idea what the future holds for me, but if I could choose, my dream job is between working on Saturday Night Live and/or being a producer for a TV show.

9. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

If I could go anywhere in the world, I would definitely visit Ireland. I have been in love with that place since the movie PS. I Love You partly due to Gerard Butler…

10. What is your guilty pleasure?

My guilty pleasure is peanut M&Ms.

We really appreciate Kyley taking the time to talk to us! She is an essentail member of the UCSB community and we are so grateful to have her making our school a better place everyday. Keep it up, Kyley! 

Hi! I am a second year student at the University of California, Santa Barbara, yet born and raised in LA. I am currently a Communication major with a great passion for writing! Fashion, exercise, food, family, and friends are what make me most happy! And all in all, I love to laugh!
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus