A Chat With Pat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Patrick Dohoney

Age: 19

Hometown: San Diego, CA

Major: Psychology

Celebrity Crush: Gus Kenworthy

Hobbies: Backpacking, Camping, Surfing, and Hanging With Friends 

Why are you running for Off Campus Senator?

I’m running for Off Campus Senator because I really feel that I have the skills and experience to qualify me to make a real difference at this school. I’ve been here for a year and I’ve already seen things that I’d like to change. In high school I was in student government and I worked hard to make changes there and now I want to work hard to make changes at UCSB for the betterment of all students.

What will you do if you are elected?

If I’m elected, my number one priority will be to make sure that all students feel like they are being represented. So my number one priority will be reaching out to all kinds of students and listening to their needs and trying to be an advocate for all of them. Specifically, I plan on taking on the ridiculous class availability we have at UCSB. We have a situation where students have their pass times and they basically have panic attacks… okay that’s a little bit of an exaggeration, but they can’t get the classes they need to graduate on time! I’m going to make classes more available by providing options for students to take online courses and making it so if there’s not enough space in a lecture we’re going to video stream that lecture so students can watch it from their home on a laptop or from another room. And there’s no reason why that shouldn’t be occurring already. I’m late to classes a good amount and I end up sitting on the floor in the back because there’s not enough room. That should never be a problem at a school that’s as prestigious and academic as UCSB with the amount of funds we have.

In addition to running for Off-Campus Senator, what other activities and organizations are you involved in here at UCSB?

I am a staff member at UCSB Adventure Programs and I’m a member of the Regents and Chancellor’s Scholars Association as well as the College of Letters and Sciences’ Honors Program. I’ve also been involved in various performing arts communities. I was on the improv group Sketch ‘N’ Sniff and I did a short play back in fall quarter. I’m also the alumni chair at ZBT. 

What song best describes your work ethic?

“Stayin’ Alive!” 

Favorite place on campus?

The grass outside DLG. 

Voting takes place on Gold 4/18 – 4/21 

Sarah is a first-year student studying Communication and Art at UCSB. She is a breakfast food enthusiast and lover of animated movies and the outdoors. If you can’t find her at the beach, find her on Instagram @sorendipity
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.