lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie: Ivan Lopez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Ivan Lopez

Year: 3rd Year

Major: Sociology and Chicano Studies

Hometown: San Jose, CA.

Relationship Status: Single and ready to mingle

How often do you say “hella”? Not that often anymore – my first year, I said it a lot. Now that I’m surrounded by SoCal people, it wore off.

Beard or Mustache? Beard

So, how do you feel about men with mustaches? With just a mustache it looks kinda creepy…they look older…it just looks creepy…yeah…unless it’s my dad’s.

Knee socks or short socks? Short!

Are you a feminist? Yes!

How do you feel about men who oppress women? I feel like they’re stuck on ideas that were in the past, like, even though like those ideas were a way of how people behaved in the past, things have changed now and they have to realize both (genders) are equal and there shouldn’t be a dominant gender…sex…

Hobbies? (laughs) I’m trying to think of appropriate hobbies… I like to dance folkloric, not just dance. I like getting involved; it keeps me busy.

What’s your ideal date? My ideal date would be…I guess, just dinner and like, having a mutual conversation not just constantly thinking about what to talk about, feeding off each other’s energy. Just having a natural flow, and having chemistry. It wouldn’t matter what we would do as long as there is no awkward pauses of what to say to ach other.

Celebrity crush? Victoria Justice and Jessica Alba

Would you rather go on a date with a girl who looks almost exactly like your mom or with a girl who acts exactly like your sister? Oh god, I would say (laughs) someone who acts like my sister. Oh god… (keeps laughing)

Turn ons? (laughs) A good laugh, it can’t be an annoying laugh… (laughs) They have to be an appropriate size for me because I’m not that tall, so if they’re too tall then no. A nice smile!

Turn offs? Someone who speaks really loudly, like they’re normal voice is super loud or high pitched, I’m just like, no. From experience, if their feet smell, if they come and hang out and they take their shoes off and it smells. Or if they put their feet on your lap and you can smell their feet.

What’s the most “environmentally friendly” thing about you? Umm…..I guess I always carry around a reusable water bottle, I  have three of these so I don’t buy the plastic bottles so that saves planet earth, it decreases the amount of waste that goes to…I don’t know…where does it go? The amount of waste that is produced?… I’m also the one at home that turns off all the lights that no one is even using. Even though we don’t pay for electricity I’m still conscious of it.

What kind of fashion advice can you give to the men of IV? (laughs) Let’s see…umm, I guess, just because we live by the beach doesn’t mean you have to wear those Hawaiian shirts. It’s the middle of fall and they are still wearing Hawaiian shirts and shorts, with sandals. Umm, what else? That’s the biggest one. Umm… I don’t know what else.

Life quote you life by? “If you’re gunna be passionate about something, be passionate about learning, if you’re gunna fight something, fight for those in need and if you’re going to hate something, hate the false idea that you are not capable of your dreams”.

What is your greatest UCSB accomplishment? My greatest accomplishment would be joining Theta Nu Kappa (Fraternity).

Favorite thing about UCSB? Umm, my favorite thing about UCSB is being involved on a lot of organizations. They are unique in their own way, but when I’m present in the groups, I feel welcomed and even though I’m not as involved as other members are in those groups. I still feel accepted into the family they have formed.

Elizabeth Vasquez graduated from UC Santa Barbara back in 2016 with a BA in English. Elizabeth currently resides in the Silicon Valley area and works for Modern Luxury Silicon Valley magazine as a marketing & events coordinator. When she isn't working, Elizabeth enjoys dining out with friends, reading a book and spending time with her two dogs. See what she is up to on Instagram: @iamelizabethvasquez and on Twitter: @MissElizabethLV
Allison is a Global Studies major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She is the Assistant Editor at Her Campus UCSB a contributor to the chapter's Instagram, @hercampusucsb. Allison believes that life is about balances, but that you can never have too many breakfast burritos. You can follow Allison's personal Instagram at @allycnco for life around Santa Barbara, good eats, and travels!