Campus Cutie: Elias Reyes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Name: Elias Reyes

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Communications

Hometown: San Francisco

Status: Single

What is it like being a transfer student for you? 

Being a transfer student gives you a sense of experience in college education, as you’ve already had college classes, but now you’re in a new environment where everyone is pursuing bigger goals.

Do you see yourself ever moving back to San Francisco?

I do see myself moving back, maybe for a job in the technology world since SF in recent years has become so techy, and that’s an aspect of my life I’d like to pursue.

What was it like living in New York?

To begin with, it was a culture shock (being from the west coast). It is a very fast paced environment with tons of talented and educated people. It was difficult but very worth-while, because I grew from it. I got a glimpse of the NY lifestyle, and it was a humbling experience as it made me realize that I am just one little person in a big world.

What are some of your favorite things to do?

Every time I can, or even when I can’t, I try to squeeze in some time to act because it’s a part of my life that I am very passionate about. I’ve been in a couple productions, including musicals, and have learned to appreciate the craft of theatre.

Hidden talents?

I am a master at finding the best bargains.

Where do you see yourself after college?

I have decided to take year off to travel the world after college, I’ve noticed that when you’re done with school you will be working for the rest of your life, so I want to take that time to travel while I can and while I’m young. After that, I hope to obtain a job in the L.A or NY area as a TV broadcaster, while also taking on more acting jobs.

When you are not working or doing school work, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I enjoy going to the beach (and actually swimming) and I like to hike, it’s a nice get away from reality even if it’s just for a bit.

What is it like to be an actor?

At first it was difficult because I had to get past my parents disapproval, and also after taking loads of courses in the theatre department finding jobs was difficult, but once you’ve got a foot in the door the opportunities begin to rise. I feel like it’s a profession where there are a lot of highs and lows and perseverance is key because sometimes you don’t get cast, but throughout time I realized that in those instances you shouldn’t give up and instead use that time to further your acting abilities.

What do you find most interesting about yourself?

I feel like I am a very outgoing person, I like to communicate with a variety of people. I’m not the type of person to stay in one place or settle for less, I can push through adversities to get to where I want to be in life although I do think that with that being said there are a lot of sacrifices to be made but they are worth taking in the long run.

What advice would you give your younger self?

Everything is going to be okay, don’t try so hard to fit in because at the end of the day you lose a sense of identity. Don’t do things to please others, actually do things that you enjoy doing.

Who are some people you look up to?

I look up to celebrities that started from nothing but rose to fame not because they were seeking attention, but for sheer talent. For example, I look up to Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin) because she actually took the time and effort to go to a highly prestigious school (NYU) and didn’t stigmatize herself into a box in terms of her acting abilities. She goes for all types of roles, and she has really been able to make people see past her ethnicity and has proven that she can be more than just a latina actress, but just a great actress.

My name is Lauren MacDonald and I am the former campus correspondent and editor in chief of Her Campus UCSB. While at UCSB, I dedicated much of my time to Her Campus as I strongly believe in its ability to empower women to tell their stories. I graduated in 2018 with a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay