Bridget Kyeremateng: “You’re JUST a First Year?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Being “just a freshman” won’t stop this girl from doing big things! Meet Bridget, an enthusiastic first-year Gaucho who has been devotedly involved with a variety of activities since the second she stepped foot on campus.

Hometown: From Fontana, CA, but born in Italy

Major: Film & Media, Black Studies Double Major

Year: First Year

What are all the activities you are involved with?

I’m involved with AS SIIRC, which is a committee under Associated Students that recruits low income or underprivileged students. I’m currently a mentee and hope to become a mentor for next year’s students.I am also involved with the Black Student Union. I’m a staff writer for BLACKWATCH, a black newspaper, where I write about embracing black hair and beauty.In my dorm, I am a floor representative for Santa Catalina’s Hall Council (South Tower), where I love making announcements all the time!When it comes to the arts, I am involved with Women’s Ensemble Theater Troupe (WETT), where we perform vagina monologues every winter quarter.I also love being a Gaucho Tour Guide! I give tours to prospective students, and I genuinely just love talking about what UCSB has to offer.Something I’m excited to do next year is to be an RA! Since I am involved on campus, I really want to connect to the future residents and help them have a great first-year college experience… and write them up, of course! (KIDDING. Sort of.)

How do you manage all of that, on top of school and a social life?

I have a planner, which I call my “afro bible”! I basically write everything down in there, following it from sunrise to sunset. I’m not going to lie, sometimes homework is not my first priority. During the daytime, I’m just extremely guilty of just living in the moment, but no need to fret—my nights are reserved for homework!

What are some of your goals for the remaining school year?

Make the first year count. I know I’ve done a lot, but I still feel like there’s a lot more out there. I’m not taking many classes this quarter, so I just want to use this time to get even more involved. I would also love to have one kid tell me he/she is coming to UCSB because of one of my tours!

Who is your role model? Why?

First off, there’s definitely my mom. I’m a daughter of immigrant parents, so it’s basically been my number one goal to make her proud. There’s also the singer, Janelle Monae. I have so much respect for her carefree spirit and genuine individuality. She also helps me feel more confident about my natural hair, to the extent where I can even proud claim “I rock da ‘fro”! While Janelle inspires me, I hope I can inspire others to embrace their natural hair as well.

What are some of your favorite hobbies when you do get time to yourself?

Some hobbies I love would definitely include volleyball, dancing to 90s R&B music in front of the mirror, theater and playing with my hair.

What is your favorite place on campus and in Isla Vista?

On campus, I love the grass area with all the colorful chairs in front of the lagoon and behind the UCEN. In IV, I just love the tables by The Habit. It’s near the intersection between Pardall and Embarcadero del Norte, which is always super busy and definitely great for people watching and sunset watching!

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

My original plan was to be a Broadway actress. Looking at that more realistically now, I think I’d see myself more as a TV personality, like for E! News, E! Entertainment, you know, be the person who talks about Kim K’s 5th wedding. I absolutely love talking, so why not get paid for it? In 10 years time, I can also see myself living in my glass house in Beverly Hills with future boyfriend, relaxing in our infinity pool and drinking martinis.

Weirdest thing you’ve done at UCSB?

There’s a video on YouTube of me dancing from the library all the way to HSSB to Pharell Williams’s song “Happy”!

How has getting involved changed you and your perspectives here at UCSB?

First off, college is so much more different than high school. I feel like high school was more about finding that one group and having a sense of belonging, but college is more than that. I guess you could call me a sponge—I am essentially soaking everything in, gaining knowledge and opening up to a lot more to perspectives. For example, being a part of WETT has taught me to be proud to be a woman; being a tour guide has taught me why we pride in our school as much as we do, and it means a lot to me to essentially be the person who helps individuals choose their next 4 years in life. Not only that, Black Student Union has taught me the importance of diversity and how much of a prevalent issue it is everywhere. As a woman of color, I know this could be seen as a double whammy, but at the same time, I have the opportunity to change these societal discriminations and hopefully inspire others to do the same.

Advice to incoming Gauchos?

GET SOCIAL! Trust me, you just need to put yourself out there day one. You have to let yourself try new things, be awkward, be uncomfortable and eventually, you will find someone with similar interests. You’re basically starting a clean slate from high school, so don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and do the unimaginable—people are not here to judge you, they are here to support you. Your first year should be an unforgettable one. UCSB is an amazing place for us to learn about ourselves and just be a better person!

How are you feeling right now? Pretty inspired? Ready to change the world? I feel ya. With a charmingly outgoing spirit and a desire to embody the diversity of UCSB, Bridget is undoubtedly bound for greatness and will never allow herself to take life for granted. Let’s all do the same, Gauchos!

Connie Lin is a Campus Correspondent and writer for the Her Campus team at UC Santa Barbara. She is a second year majoring in Communication and is looking forward to a career in PR. On campus, she is the public relations coordinator for CAB (Community Affairs Board), which holds volunteer events to bring the campus and community together, along with working as a ticketing assistant for UCSB Arts & Lectures. In her free time, she enjoys new adventures, reading blogs, CAJE dates and obsessing over pugs. See what she's up to on Twitter & Instagram! @heyitsconnie
Rachel is a senior at UC Santa Barbara and studies Communication and Global Peace and Security. Rachel is from a small, beautiful town in southern California called Palos Verdes. However, Palos Verdes is just one of the many places Rachel has lived. Rachel spent her childhood moving and traveling all over the world, living in places such as Indianapolis, Indiana; Santiago, Chile; Vienna, Austria; and Orlando, Florida. Rachel has found her heart and her home in California, choosing to spend her college years in sunny Santa Barbara. However, Rachel continued her wanderlust when she studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain in Fall 2012. At UCSB, Rachel is an immensely dedicated and involved member of her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, where she held the positions of Panhellenic Delegate, Inter-Greek Counselor, Rho Gam, and a member of the Nominating Slate. Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is a passion of Rachel's, as she is their Social Media Coordinator as well as an active and proud member. As a member of the Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, Rachel is able to implement her prowess and affinity for communication and communication-related issues. When Rachel is not writing, participating in Kappa events, or volunteering, you can find her in the gym, on the soccer field, watching Modern Family, or cooking. Rachel's love for sports, food, and writing often times go hand-in-hand, as one may see in her weekly blogs. For the past two summers, Rachel has been freelance writing for the Los Angeles Times, and hopes to continue her career pursuit of journalism after she graduates. Rachel is elated to be a part of Her Campus's fabulous team and loves every moment of it!