Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UCSB Blog

Get a Jump Start on Mother's Day with WallPops!

By Maya Wong
April 19, 2014 - 5:45pm

I don’t know about you, but I can never think of the perfect Mother’s Day gift. I know it’s time for an upgrade after years of giving my mom “Free Hug” coupons…but my student budget begs to differ. This year I can finally satisfy my mom (and my wallet) with the perfect Mother’s Day gift from WallPops! WallPops are today’s most fashionable removable and reusable wall décor that comes in trendy designs that are perfect for everything from your dorm room to your mom’s kitchen! READ MORE

Warm Weather Beauty Essentials

By Kirby Beaton
April 15, 2014 - 4:31pm

Spring quarter is finally here and that means warmer weather, longer days, and sunny beach weekends. This is certainly one of the best times of the year, but are you prepared for the sunburns, hair damage, and makeup dilemmas that come with it? If not, don't fear! Here are my top beauty essentials to keep you looking flawless this spring and summer. Sunscreen READ MORE

Talk Dirty to Me

By Helen Irias
April 7, 2014 - 10:55pm

Musical genius and sensual god Jason Derulo’s latest hit is not only obscenely catchy (that saxophone riff, though) but in my case, pretty thought-provoking. Is it just assumed that everyone around the world knows how to talk dirty? Maybe I’m completely alone in this, but not once in all my experience have I had a response for a guy who has told me to “say something dirty” other than awkward laughter. And that reaction rarely intensifies the mood. I decided it was time to solve this problem once and for all, so naturally, I consulted the oracle of all knowledge, Google. READ MORE

O2 MAX Fitness: The Fitness Program for Students

By Rachel Miller
April 6, 2014 - 1:25pm

As a UCSB student, one is subjected to both a taxing academic schedule as well as a proficiently attractive student population. Due to this, many of us Isla Vista-ers strive to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but cannot seem to find the time between classes, studying, and homework…oh, and our social itinerary. However, I was recently approached by Karen Jashinsky, the owner of O2 MAX Fitness, with the opportunity to trial her amazing new fitness company’s Spring Break Tune Up program. O2 MAX Fitness is a company that creates personalized fitness programs and products specifically for students and busy people. Their Spring Break Tune Up was personalized based on when my spring break start date was. ...

What it's Like to Be a Girl at UCSB as Told by Sex and the City

By Maya Wong
March 19, 2014 - 3:58am

It’s Wednesday, which means you and your besties are going out to celebrate Wine Wednesday…   All of your friends support your late-night love affair with Freebirds nachos. Pile on the guac. That’s it...keep it coming.   Or, on some days, South Coast Deli’s hot sammies are the answer. READ MORE

Spring Break Survival Kits!

By andriana_collins
March 16, 2014 - 4:07am

There’s no better way to de-stress than to be showered with fun, handy, and pink goodies!  As we conquer finals week, Her Campus Nationals and some of our favorite partners have rewarded us with a big high five and a “You go girl,” sending yet another round of amazing Survival Kit treats!   Even in the spell of the inevitable finals week struggle, our swag bag is pleasant motivation to get spring break ready…soon to be swapping our caffeine regimens to champagne diets and yoga pants to hot-bod bikinis! READ MORE

The Best Study Spaces Not Under Construction

By Mya McCann
March 12, 2014 - 11:21pm

Behold, Davidson Library, circa now: Since the construction of Davidson Library, studying there can be a struggle. The library is an eyesore and the commotion of the construction is a racket that only an industrial noise enthusiast would enjoy. READ MORE

The Magical Health Benefits of Kissing

By Mya McCann
March 1, 2014 - 9:40pm

Kissing is fun. When I am kissed, my heart flutters, my cheeks flush, and I feel a swell of euphoria, commonly known as the butterflies.  In the movies I grew up on, kissing had magical powers. READ MORE

6 Healthy Snacks to Bring to Class

By Mya McCann
February 16, 2014 - 4:10pm

It's 3pm, hours removed from lunch and dinner, and your stomach growls menacingly in the middle of lecture. The person to your left squints sideways. You squirm a little bit in your seat, maybe cough lighty into your fist. Your stomach growls again and you lock eyes with the professor. If only you had packed a snack! It's easy to avoid the wrath of a needy tummy by running to the Arbor for some quick potato chips, or settling on a sugary cookie at a coffee stand. But we're trying to be healthy, right? Here are six of my favorite snacks to bring to class.   READ MORE

5 Reasons Why I'm Not a Figure Skater

By Helen Irias
February 11, 2014 - 12:23pm

If it weren’t for these miniscule details, it’d be me out there winning that gold medal.   1. The childhood. When I was four years old I played once a week on a soccer team called the Lightning Ladies. My coach didn’t provide wrathful training and motivation; he provided Caprisuns and Doritos. 2. The dedication. I’m sound asleep at 4:30am--MAYBE if coffee shops opened earlier then I could have made it to the rink. READ MORE