Style > Beauty

Beauty on a Budget! (Top 10 Drugstore Cosmetics)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

As collegiettes, we usually don’t have the funds to go on a Sephora haul. But that doesn’t mean we can’t look cute – we just have to learn to look cute on a budget! Challenge accepted.

When it comes to shopping on a budget for makeup, my secrets are to pay attention to the product’s coverage, how long it lasts throughout the day, how pigmented it is, the texture, and, if you’re picky like me, the scent. If you don’t know where to start, don’t worry – I’ve done most of the testing and experimenting for you already!

These selected products are in chronological order (from primer to lips) to show that you can do your whole makeup routine with solely drugstore products… AND still look your absolute best! *Prices range based on location of purchase.

1.      Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser

This primer is around $5-7 – such a steal! It focuses on blurring out your imperfections and smoothing out your skin so your visage is ready-to-go and poreless when applying your foundation. Like painting a wall, you need a good base before you can add the fun stuff!

2.      Maybelline BB Cream

This BB Cream is around $7-9. As collegiettes, “ain’t nobody got time for putting on a full face of makeup” – especially when we’re so focused on working, studying, going to the gym, and participating in extracurriculars. We completely get it. Reasons why this BB Cream is amazing are because: 1) it doesn’t feel like a mask, 2) it has light to medium coverage – booyah!, 3) it has a satin finish, which is perfect because it doesn’t end up looking dewy/oily throughout the day, and 4) it’s under $10!

3.      Revlon Age Defying Concealer

This concealer is around $8-11. Yes, it might be the priciest thing on the list… but it is also the most important! Pulling all those all-nighters and getting less than 6 hours of sleep a night will definitely bring out the designer bags under our eyes, but this thick, high coverage, and highly-pigmented concealer will do wonders! It lasts long, plus it doesn’t crease. This one beauty product should be the holy grail for all collegiettes!  

4.      Milani Eyebrow Pencil

This eyebrow pencil is $4-6. I know many do not have time to fully fill in their eyebrows but, c’mon ladies, eyebrows shape your face. They must be given some attention – not much, but enough. This eyebrow pencil is not wax-like or sticky like most eyebrow pencils. It glides on smoothly, and won’t pull out any of your gorgeous little hairs while trying to remove the product at the end of the night. Plus, the shades available are light enough to look natural, yet can definitely build very well if needed to make darker.

5.      Milani Baked Blushes

This product is around $7-9. Baked cosmetics are all the craze now because of the amazing color pay-off. These blushes are definitely the best in the drugstore game right now! Because the colors are so subtle and natural, they don’t look too heavy when applied. Blushes also last foreverrrrr, so this is an amazing investment!

6.      Maybelline Great Lash Mascara

This product is $3-5. The competition for drugstore mascaras is real, but this one is by far the one I go back to…Every. Single. Time. Make sure to purchase the one with the BIG brush for best results; the small bristled brush does not do it for me. They have three colors ranging from Blackest Black, Black, and Brown for a less dramatic look. Definitely a drugstore oldie, but a goodie!

7.      Loreal Infallible Silky Pencil Eyeliner & Liquid Liner (sold seperately)

The pencil liner is $7-9, and the liquid liner is $6-9. This infallible line is to die for! The pencil liner is totally pigmented and glides on your waterline like butter, while the liquid liner does not smear at the top of your eyelid at the end of the day – such a powerful duo! Of course, being on a time constraint will only allow time for applying one of them. But whichever you pick, we know it’ll be good!

8.      NYX Lip Liner

This product is around $2-4. Not only are these lip liners super cheap, but they are also long-lasting and do not dry out your lips like most lip liners in drugstores. They are so pigmented that you can fill your whole lip with this color if you’re on the go, and it will last longer than your usual lipstick. These are definitely overlooked by shoppers, but that’s ok – more for us!

9.      Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balms

This product is around $5-7. They don’t lie when they say “Colorburst”! These jumbo lip crayons are amazing for those on the go because they are so pigmented that you only need to apply one layer each time. They are so easy to use and carry around with your school supplies – no awkward square lipstick to worry about that doesn’t fit well in tight spaces.

10.  NYX Matte Finish Setting Spray

This product is around $3-5. I know, I know… most of y’all are thinking, “A setting spray?” YES. As a college student who does not want to touch up her makeup or look oily in that T-zone at the end of the day, this matte setting spray will lock your makeup and seal it so it doesn’t run as much as it would without it! You only need to apply 2 spritz throughout your face, and voilà – you are ready to go on with your boss-self!

Through much trial and error, these products are by far the TOP 10 that will revolutionize the way you do your makeup before a busy day, and your wallet will thank you for it. There’s no need to spend hundreds of dollars trying to “save up” your Sephora points on expensive makeup if you want to look good going to lecture; drugstores definitely have plenty of options for gems that will change your makeup routine for the better! Hope you love these products just as much as we do!

Allison is a Global Studies major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She is the Assistant Editor at Her Campus UCSB a contributor to the chapter's Instagram, @hercampusucsb. Allison believes that life is about balances, but that you can never have too many breakfast burritos. You can follow Allison's personal Instagram at @allycnco for life around Santa Barbara, good eats, and travels!
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus