Attention Freshmen: Portola’s Secret Menu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

During the first few weeks as a college freshman, there seem to be endless possibilities and new things to explore and discover. One of the most exciting things to uncover is the dining commons. You can eat whatever you want, and your mother isn’t there to tell you to eat your veggies or finish your dinner before you indulge in dessert. Best of all, ice cream and pizza can usually be found at least one of our four on campus dining commons, so you go in thinking that this will be the best year ever. However, by the time December comes around, FT students couldn’t hate Portola more. But don’t fret; there are a few unknown secrets in the dining commons realm here at UCSB! It has been found that when college students are hungry and their food options decrease, their creativity increases. Here is the UCSB Dining Common Secret Menu–Portola Edition!

Nachos Supreme:
This works best at Portola on nights when the meat dishes don’t look like meat at all. First, ask the workers at the burger bar for an empty burger basket. Next, fill it up with tortilla chips. The next step is up to you. For cheese, you have two options–either cheese sauce or real cheese from the salad bar. Subsequently, top with any meat choices available and/or any other toppings that you deem suitable and tasty. Finally, heat up your delicious creation in the microwave (usually a minute will do it) and you have Nachos Supreme!

Milkshakes:
Here’s an easy way to get a classic dessert for nights when your only other food choice is Captain Crunch. First take a glass and fill it with either ice cream or soft serve yogurt. Then, make your choice of milk and just stir! It’s not an In-n-Out shake, but it tastes just as good and cuts unneeded calories out!

Taco Salad:
The salad bar is always open at Portola and is always a great option. But, here is a way to spice up your usual salad combo! Even if Portola isn’t serving tacos that night, you can still create your taco salad with a couple easy fix-ins. Just crumble some tortilla chips and sprinkle some cheese on your heap of lettuce. Then, throw in some salsa and guacamole. Now, you’ve added some Mexican flavor to your normally boring lettuce and dressing mix!

Patty Melt:
So at the burger bar you can fill out your info sheet with hamburger, cheeseburger, or grilled cheese. Pretty boring by the start of winter quarter, right? Good news: the workers will help you out with your secret menu to get you through those monotonous Portola nights. Ask for a grilled cheese with a burger patty inside to create your own Patty Melt! 

Rachel is a senior at UC Santa Barbara and studies Communication and Global Peace and Security. Rachel is from a small, beautiful town in southern California called Palos Verdes. However, Palos Verdes is just one of the many places Rachel has lived. Rachel spent her childhood moving and traveling all over the world, living in places such as Indianapolis, Indiana; Santiago, Chile; Vienna, Austria; and Orlando, Florida. Rachel has found her heart and her home in California, choosing to spend her college years in sunny Santa Barbara. However, Rachel continued her wanderlust when she studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain in Fall 2012. At UCSB, Rachel is an immensely dedicated and involved member of her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, where she held the positions of Panhellenic Delegate, Inter-Greek Counselor, Rho Gam, and a member of the Nominating Slate. Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is a passion of Rachel's, as she is their Social Media Coordinator as well as an active and proud member. As a member of the Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, Rachel is able to implement her prowess and affinity for communication and communication-related issues. When Rachel is not writing, participating in Kappa events, or volunteering, you can find her in the gym, on the soccer field, watching Modern Family, or cooking. Rachel's love for sports, food, and writing often times go hand-in-hand, as one may see in her weekly blogs. For the past two summers, Rachel has been freelance writing for the Los Angeles Times, and hopes to continue her career pursuit of journalism after she graduates. Rachel is elated to be a part of Her Campus's fabulous team and loves every moment of it!