Areli Ariana: The Girl Who Proves ¡Si Se Puede! Is A True Way of Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

UCSB Junior, Areli Ariana, is a walking embodiment of what it truly means to “practice what you preach.” Her passion and dedication is what adds culture and diversity to the beautiful UCSB campus. As a Comparative Literature and Psychology double major, she does not let book knowledge stop her from learning, self-educating herself on community and world issues. This Woodland, CA native does not just give back to her community, but is also a proactive member as well.

Any fun fact(s) about yourself that you would like to share with everyone?

I like to play La Jarana, which is a gorgeous instrument used in Son Jarocho.

I also fell off my long board last summer and now have two bad knees. So when I visited Teotihuacan, I was scared that my knees would give out before I climbed Los Piramindes. Fortunately, I had friends who helped me by either giving me a hand or by laughing because at one point I was crawling down La Piramida de La Luna. But I made it, and as cliché as this sounds, being at Teotihuacna cemented my identity and roots… Our past is erased and sometimes seems abstract, but being in the presence of Los Piramides, a space that was sacred to my ancestors, was an amazing experience.”

Would you identify yourself as a woman of color? What identity do you most associate yourself with?

When asked how I identify, I say afro-xicana. Porque, mi abuelito se identifica como negro (Because my grandfather identifies as black) and most of my family son morenos (are of darker complexions). So by identifying as Afro-xicana, I honor his identity and my roots.  Plus, Xicana encompasses my own experiences as the daughter of Mexican immigrants who also grew up in California.

Areli also uses her voice to educate her fellow Gauchos on the world issues through her radio show with UCSB’s KCSB radio station.

Can you elaborate on your role in Radio Xicana?

I’m a DJ. I’ve been, kind of, a part of the show since my first year. I started off by visiting my friends at the station and was captivated by this feeling in my tummy. I still get that feeling- you know the kind that just soothes you? I also really like to do the show with friends. A lot of the members and our friends are really busy so sometimes they drop by just to relax, share music y compartimos palabras, risas (and share stories, laughs) and reflect on the harsh realities of the world. I love speaking on air, I love commanding the airwaves with my words. Radio X is a collective of Muxeres en La Radio- we are on air weekly at KCSB 91.9 FM. We tend to focus on issues that are not necessarily highlighted in mainstream media. My favorite part of the radio show was that it challenged me to look for music made by woman of color. I have found some of my favorite artists through my ‘WOC music research.’ I honestly believe that a person’s music taste speaks volumes on their beliefs, ideologies and what not.

“Like” Radio Xicana on Facebook to get updates of airing times and more information about the radio station!

Besides using her voice to spread awareness of world issues not discussed in mainstream media, Areli also spreads awareness to her fellow classmates at UCSB by organizing events to commemorate the brave souls that left the physical world for a moral and spiritual cause.

What is La Familia de Colores?

La Familia de Colores is a space for Queer Chican@s and Latin@s at UCSB. I’m on the board, which is essentially composed of xingon@s that raise awareness on issues pertaining to LGBTQ Chican@/Latin@s. The first project that I helped out with was for Trans* day of Rememberance, we hosted a vigil to recognize trans* lives lost due to anti-transgender violence. At the vigil, we highlighted Zoriada “Ale” Reyes, she was an activist in the undocuqueer community and a former UCSB student. She was one of many Trans* women of color who lost their lives to anti-transgender violence. It’s terrifying to see the number of TWOC who have lost their lives due to xenophobia.

(The above picture is credited to @alonsoelchango)

Areli has such an amazing soul, remembering one of her fallen Gauchos is only part of her experience here at UCSB. She was also actively involved in other advocacy events that went on this fall quarter.

What was your active role in organizing events around Ayotzinapa?

The vigil and demonstrations were put together by a collective of both undergrad and grad students. We got together on a Tuesday morning and two days later we held a vigil with around 200 people present. We read all 43 names of los desaparecidos (the Ayotzinapa students who are missing), we did this by passing around a poster with their names and background stories so that each individual desaperecido was recognized. I think the purpose of this was to give them life and not simply reduce their lives to the number 43. On November 20th we held a demonstration in solidarity with worldwide action aimed at calling out the Mexican government. We painted a white stripe down our face and painted a red hand over our mouth. The white symbolizes an absence of agency for the people, and the red symbolizes the blood shed due to violence by the masses.

(The above picture is photo credited to @alonsoelchango)

What has been the greatest obstacle(s) you have faced, as being a woman of color, since your stay at UCSB?

The greatest obstacles I have faced within this institution are the everyday micro-aggressions. I am constantly coerced into situations where I need to validate my experiences as a woman of color.  Or placed in situations where my identity is erased. I swear, sometimes I’ll sit in class and feel as if I’m the only brown person with a working class background. It can be very isolating.

What advice would you give to other women of color at UCSB to help them overcome whatever obstacle(s) they may be facing?

I have managed to survive my short college experience because I have found a community that has taught me to love my experience as an individual and to continue working along my community. My advice to woman of color is to please seek out a community of your own. Even if you find one or two more people, that is enough to thrive within this institution. Y que no se les olvide que La Lucha Sigue y que debemos de hecharle ganas. (And don’t forget the struggle for us continues so we have to keep giving it our all).

As you can all see, Areli is an activist who strives for a better tomorrow. She is the epitome of what a college student should be doing in America: conquering the odds, regardless of the difficulty, to strive for a safer future that not only she can enjoy but the generations after her. Many of us talk about wanting a safer place to live. Areli is already one step ahead: addressing the problems to come up with proactive solutions. UCSB is extremely fortunate to have a student like Areli attend this institution!

Elizabeth Vasquez graduated from UC Santa Barbara back in 2016 with a BA in English. Elizabeth currently resides in the Silicon Valley area and works for Modern Luxury Silicon Valley magazine as a marketing & events coordinator. When she isn't working, Elizabeth enjoys dining out with friends, reading a book and spending time with her two dogs. See what she is up to on Instagram: @iamelizabethvasquez and on Twitter: @MissElizabethLV
Allison is a Global Studies major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She is the Assistant Editor at Her Campus UCSB a contributor to the chapter's Instagram, @hercampusucsb. Allison believes that life is about balances, but that you can never have too many breakfast burritos. You can follow Allison's personal Instagram at @allycnco for life around Santa Barbara, good eats, and travels!