To Anyone Who Has Told Me to Get over Trump’s Presidency

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We’ve all heard it by now. That snarky tone in a distant relative’s/old high school classmate’s/complete stranger’s voice when they say those 5 words: 

“Trump won. Get over it.” 

Well, I’m here to proudly say

No, I will not simply get over the fact that our new “president” is a man who is a blatant racist, misogynistic, p***y grabbing white supremacist. (And the list goes on, believe me.) 

I’m here to proudly say that I’m not going down without a fight. And in case you haven’t noticed, neither is the rest of the world. Even if we have to fight every day for the next four years, we are not giving up. Why? Because Trump represents everything that has been wrong in society for the past 100 years. Didn’t it raise any flags when the KKK officially endorsed him? See, here’s the thing. Trump came in with no political background, no policy ideas other than “building a wall” and “getting rid of Obamacare” and lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes. Does that sound very democratic to you? To pour even more salt in the wound, Trump has a knack of talking so much crap without ever saying anything. The electoral college somehow elected a man who lies on a daily basis to run the most influential nation on Earth. When it comes to morality, this man has none. He’s even lied to his own supporters. Remember what he boasted that he was going to force Mexico to “pay for the wall?” Guess what? Mexico isn’t paying for the wall (Is anyone really surprised by this?). And, as the rest of us already knew, we’re going to be the ones paying for for it. Because, you know, who cares about things like healthcare and education, right? 

As of the moment that I’m writing this, Trump has been in office for less than two weeks and here’s just some of the things that he’s done so far

I think that we all can be pretty sure that there’s plenty more to come. Some Trump voters have already begun expressing their regret in having voted for him. And this is only the beginning. 

So, no. I’m not going to get over it. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not any day as long as Trump and people like him are in office. He is not what America was meant to stand for. He is an embarassment. So here is my fair warning to those of you who still find yourselves wanting to defend this monster: Trump only cares about furthering his own agenda. He doesn’t care about the American people. Unless you’re a very wealthy, white middle-aged business man, he does NOT care about you. If he hasn’t yet found a way to hurt you, — or the people close to you — he will soon. You may tell us to get over it now, but one thing you won’t be able to do is put the blame on us when it all falls apart later. Because we didn’t choose to ignore the signs. You did.   

Sociology major at UC Santa Barbara. Passions include: Taylor Swift, fashion, FRIENDS, chocolate, Snapchat and sassy t-shirts.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay