neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Advice from a Vegan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Veganism: it’s a lifestyle chosen by many and questioned by most others. Whether you’re a current vegan or someone who’s considering converting, here are some helpful tips regarding this super satisfying life choice.

1. Protein is not a difficult concept.

“How do you get your protein?” This is by far the number one question all vegans encounter. Instead of rolling your eyes in response to this overly asked question, impress your non-vegan friends by swiftly listing off the top of your head the many protein-filled vegan foods that are even enjoyed by them. Peanut butter, hummus, almonds, quinoa – OK, that last one is kind of weird and slightly unpronounceable, but it’s delicious nonetheless.

2. Desserts exist.

Vegan donuts?! You’d be surprised by what you can find at the bakery of your local Whole Foods. Simply searching “vegan desserts” online also results in countless food blogs and Pinterest posts with tons of vegan recipes. Get ready to bake and bring all kinds of delicious delicacies to family and friend gatherings! You’ll be able to smile in satisfaction as you watch your unsupportive grandmother consume dozens of double chocolate chip cookies that are vegan only to your knowledge. 

3. There are endless milk substitutes.

When you’re a vegan, you begin to realize that there is this strange parallel universe of dairy-free milk options. Honestly though, seeing all of the milk alternatives lined up side by side on a shelf at Trader Joe’s is kind of overwhelming. Soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, hemp milk – the list goes on! It’s also amazingly easy to make any type of non-dairy milk in your own kitchen, especially if you want to be like that “stay-at-home mom living in Portland with a loving husband and two toddlers” whose blog you shamelessly stalk every day. Just don’t forget to pour the finished product into a mason jar and take a picture of it carefully placed atop an ironically distressed wooden table.

4. Some foods are surprisingly vegan (and not even on purpose!).

Yes, you can still eat the chocolatey, cream-filled Oreos that remind you of childhood, because guess what? They’re vegan. Supposedly buttery Ritz crackers? Also vegan.

5. Don’t let your friends think you’re weird.

Avoid being the subject of relentless ridicule by telling your friends about the many benefits of veganism. By going vegan, you’re not only saving the animals, but the planet as a whole because of your sustainable eating practices. Plant-based diets also prevent you from consuming too many saturated fats. So veganism leads to a healthier planet and a healthier body, and what normal person wouldn’t want that?!

6. And finally, don’t be obnoxious about it.

No one wants to be that vegan, also known as the vegan who thinks they have the utmost authority over all non-vegans and feels the need to tell the entire world about their vegan supremacy. When you’re ordering food at a restaurant, subtly ask your waiter if a certain menu item can be prepared without animal products instead of loudly inquiring, “IS THIS VEGAN?” and making sure every restaurant-goer can hear you as you then continue to explain how much of a special and superior person you are due to your vegan-ness. After all, veganism is about compassion, not aggression. 

Melissa Doran