andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Struggles of Being Close to Someone Who Falls in Love Easily

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Whether it be your best friend, sister, brother or even your significant other, being in a relationship with someone who falls in love easily is anything but easy. Having to hear about the weekly love stories repeatedly, only to hear “they weren’t the one stories” a few weeks later, is exhausting. You want to feel happy for them, but you just don’t know when. Sometimes, you do envy them for having that same spark of new love every time they lay eyes on their new Prince Charming or Sleeping Beauty, but then you remember someone as romantic as them will end up having one too many unnecessary heartbreaks. Here are some struggles we know too well that come with being close to someone who falls in love easily.

1. You Genuinely Feel Happy for Them Until You Realize What Kind of Person They Fell for 

You know that feeling when you see a cookie after a long day only to find out they taste stale when you take a huge bite into it? That’s pretty much what this is. At first, you feel happy for your close friend until you realize that the person he/she likes looks a little bit too skeptical. Then you face the dilemma of having to decide whether or not to tell them about your intuition.  

2. You Get Frustrated with Them Enough to Answer Sarcastically When They Bring up Someone New

When you receive a new message from your friend explaining that they have found another person to love, you can’t but help but sarcastically add the remark, “again?” or “really?”

3. Eventually You Start to Question Their Taste in People and If They Even Have a Specific Type 

When your friend becomes interested in people, you start to confused as to what their ideal type is since there seems to be no specific pattern.

4. You Want to Help Them out of a Disastrous Relationship but They Just Don’t Listen

Once you get the courage to face them with the truth, your friend still does not believe you, saying that they don’t need approval from you to like someone.

5. They Never Fail to Surprise You with How Fast They Move On

Just when you are about to comfort them about their recent loss, they come at you with another.

6. You Start Questioning If They Are Wasting Their Time Giving It All in Their New Relationship

Sometimes people who fall in love easily, have a lot of love to give. And sometimes, that is not the best idea to save yourself from a future fall. You can’t help but question if they will be okay.

7. They Don’t Seem to Learn from Their past Experiences and You Have to Constantly Remind Them

Constantly reminding them that they have faced this problem before doesn’t seem to cut it. Every conversation seems like a repeat of one past experience. You can’t help but remind them about what happened before, and what they can do differently.

8. When You Get That Late Night Phone Call You Know to Brace Yourself for an Earful of Drama

When your friend goes through a fight with their new partner, you are normally the one to hear it first. But of course, you are always there to give her reason and support. Whether its gossip, ranting or crying, you will always be there to support them no matter what.

But in the end, you let them live their life and experience the thrill of new love because you know you will always be there to catch them when they fall or support them when they are standing tall. And honestly, love is always worth our time, who are we to judge new love?

Mable Truong is a second year collegiate attending the University of California- Santa Barbara, with a major in Communication. She is into everything that is cute, pink or characteristically happy. Despite her interests in pink and all things happy, you can often find her wearing a wardrobe composing of of mainly black, gray, and white. In hopes of making it big in the field of creative marketing and branding, she tries her best to incorporate her life interests to her education. DIY projects and interior design are her favorite past times, and you can often find her planning her next project in her overly pink dorm room.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay