This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

When us transfer students envisioned our transition to the big leagues, we envisioned all the University perks of friends, parties, and opportunities galore. What we didn’t expect was the awkward beginning. You know, the part before the friends, parties and opportunities. While most students experience feeling shy and confused in their first few months of freshman year, transfers typically experience it later in the game. While it’s a unique situation with ups and downs, it will definitely be a memorable experience all its own for us that took the less conventional route.  

1. You feel like everyone and their dog (literally) already has a group of friends.

2. You slowly but surely realize that you’re older than pretty much everyone (Don’t even get me started on the awkwardly large age gap from the freshman)

3. You never know what to say when people ask what year you are

4. You feel so lost, but refuse to admit it because YOU ARE NOT A FRESHMAN

5. That awkward moment when a freshman knows more about the school than you do

6. Feeling like a loner for the first time since middle school

7. But then, alas… you finally find other transfers that know exactly what you’re going through.

8. Finally, you realize that with age comes wisdom, and you will use it to your advantage!

My name is Lauren MacDonald and I am the former campus correspondent and editor in chief of Her Campus UCSB. While at UCSB, I dedicated much of my time to Her Campus as I strongly believe in its ability to empower women to tell their stories. I graduated in 2018 with a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay