7 Things UCSB Students Miss About Target

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

With the nearest Target being forty miles away from UCSB, it’s safe to say that most students experience some serious withdrawals during their four years here. Sure, we have a Kmart, but let’s face it, Target is like Kmart’s prettier sister who always wears cute clothes. An iconic one-stop shop, it’s the inspiration of countless lifestyle blogs, including All Things Target and Target Does It Again. Clearly this multifaceted store is something special, so here’s an overview of what we’re missing out on.

1. Reasonably priced groceries

You can’t help but cringe at some of the prices at IV Market and Albertsons, which, unfortunately, are the closest grocery stores to UCSB. Target, on the other hand, has a wide array of food products that are much less expensive – even the specialty gluten-free and organic items!

2. Affordable (and surprisingly stylish) fashion

Buying a bikini at the same place you can buy toilet paper and a lawnmower seems questionable, but Target’s fashion-forward styles prove otherwise. From lacy bralettes to distressed boyfriend jeans, Target has plenty of pieces that are comparable to those found at trendy boutiques, minus the marked-up price tags. So the next time someone asks you where you bought your suede ankle boots, feel free to tell them, “Oh just this little store I like to call Targé.”

3. Amazing brand collaborations

Currently it’s Lilly Pulitzer, a few years ago it was Missoni, and Neiman Marcus was sometime in between. Obviously Target holds some fashion prowess considering the amount of high-end designers that have partnered with the discount retail store.

4. A dollar section that’s way cuter than the Dollar Tree

Cunningly placed in the front of the store right next to the shopping carts, Target’s “One Spot” dollar section is both enticing and budget-friendly. OK, so you might not actually need glitter tape and chalkboard coasters, but the fact that they cost a mere buck makes you feel a little less guilty when putting them in your basket.

5. Festive displays

A fresh set of hanging cardboard signs at Target can only mean one thing: a holiday is fast approaching. Sure, these cheerful displays are mostly corporate gimmicks to persuade you to buy metallic Christmas trees or Cadbury eggs, but hey, they work

6. The occasional really hot worker

I don’t know about you, but my Target back home has some pretty good-looking employees who somehow manage to pull off khakis. Also, who can forget about Alex from Target? I’ll give Walmart props, though, for always having really nice old people greeting you at the door.

7. These mugs (and basically every other home decor item)

Target’s home department has a variety of unique products that are economical enough for decorating your campus dorm or furnishing your Isla Vista apartment. Funky mirrors, ruffled throw pillows, and these relatable coffee mugs that are only $1.99?! We’re sold.

Just in case any of these reminders of Target’s greatness have motivated you to take the forty-minute drive to Ventura, click here for directions. It’s not like I had them bookmarked in my phone because I used them last weekend or anything… 

Melissa Doran