6 Life Lessons Donna Meagle Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

After seven successful seasons of Parks and Recreation (please excuse me as I am still crying from the series finale), it is safe to say that the general population has all been introduced in some form or another to the characters of this show whether it’s Leslie Knope, April Ludgate, or Ron Swanson. And if you have watched the iconic mockumentary as religiously as I have, it has introduced you to a newfound love and apprectiation for breakfast foods, woodworking, and the fictional city of Pawnee, Indiana. However, while Leslie and Ron have introduced us to so much, there is another character on Parks and Rec who has dedicated her life to teaching us everything from how to exude confidence to the best pick up lines to a happy and healthy lifestyle, all with a heavy dose of sass, pop culture references, and humor. And this character is named Donna Meagle.

So, here are some important life lessons to take from Donna Meagle. Get your notebooks ready!

1. Have no shame in playing the field.

And I guess this life lesson in the Meagle familyhas been passed down for generations…

Don’t waste your time in worrying what others think of you! As long as you are being safe, go out there, play the field, and never be ashamed of your sexuality.

2. Use whatever pickup line you have, no matter how cheesy it is, and own it.

Have a dorky pickup line? Don’t be ashamed to use it! It is mostly our confidence that attracts people, not the line we use on them. This type of confidence positvely affects other aspects of our lives (like job hunting), as confidence is key. 

3. Never let the haters stop you from doing you.

Ever have someone tell you that you take to many selfies? Well, Donna Meagle would tell you to keep posting those fabulous selfies. If you love what you are doing, then it shouldn’t matter what others think. And if those haters keep hating, the block button (literal and figuative) does wonders! 

4. Leave your discretion at the door.

Life is too short to hide your feelings! Embrace how you are feeling and let the world know. 

5. Embrace your look.

Don’t try and mold yourself for someone else. Let your unique self shine even if it doesn’t conform to society’s expectations or style.

6. And finally…. Spoil yourself every once in awhile (because you deserve it)!

You should never need an excuse to pamper yourself. This will do wonders for your personal happiness and well-being. 

So, this is for you, Donna Meagle. Thank you for all your educational life lessons! 

My name is Lisa Raub, and I am fourth year here at the University of California Santa Barbara. I am an English Major with a minor in Professional Writing. I studied abroad in Paris and London, traveling everywhere from Belgium to Spain to Italy, basically leaving Europe completely broke but extremely happy. I can often be found with a dog-eared book or an almost illegible journal beside me. When I am not reading or writing, I am usually watching A LOT of Netflix or soaking up the sun. Follow my insta: @lisawantspizza
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.