5 Ways to Kill Time During Syllabus Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Reading over a a summary of the course you are about to begin as the professor narrates is hardly thrilling–I even find it a little belittling when I’m forced to spend an hour and fifteen minutes doing so. If you’ve ever shared these sentiments, maybe you’ll appreciate my alternative suggestions to occupy your thoughts during this mind-numbing time.

1. Play this helicopter game: The more you lose, the more you strive to win. Apply this attitude to the rest of the quarter and success shall abound: HELICOPTER FUN TIME

2. Memorize countries: Print out a blank map of the world and quiz yourself on the countries until you know them all. This will help in intelligent conversations about world events, and you can be in the 1% of Americans not completely ignorant about geography.

3. Clean out your email: I don’t know about you, but I currently have 1,905 unread emails, most of them from Forever21, Domino’s Pizza and Merriam Webster’s Word of the Day. Delete delete delete, you will feel free. Probably. Not that I know.

4. Online shop: It’s winter, you need those cute boots for people to comment on during lulls in shallow conversations! “Cute shoes!” Yeah. If you’re trying to save money try GoJane!

5. Rhyme: Write a sentence, then below it come up with a string of words in which every word rhymes with the word above it. This is how Eminem got so good at spittin’ lyrics.

WARNING: Continuing these procastination methods beyond Week 1 could damage your learning and subsequently your grades. Use them wisely.

Mya McCann is a fourth year literature student in the College of Creative Studies at UCSB. She currently lives in Bangkok, Thailand and is in the business of running BKK. On the weekends you can find Mya either in the jungle or on an island. On the weekdays she studies Thai and Buddhism and teaches English to sex workers in the red light district. You can follow her adventures on IG: MyaJoy