5 Ways to Get Into the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s November, and while the weather may be giving us mixed signals about what season it is, one thing is for certain: the holidays are quickly approaching. For some of us the lack of consistent sweater weather and always being able to go to the beach makes it difficult to get into the spirit of the holidays, even with Thanksgiving right around the corner. Here are five simple ways to spark your inner holiday spirit regardless of the weather.

1.         Create a Spotify playlist of your favorite “holiday” songs.

Let’s face it, there are two types of people when it comes to holiday music. Whichever end of the spectrum you’re on, creating a playlist on Spotify of some of your favorite colder weather songs will help get you into the Thanksgiving/almost Christmas mood. 

2.         Decorate!

It can be as simple as this…..

…or fancy if you prefer.

Do whatever inspires the spirit of the holidays in you! 

3.         Holiday themed drinks. 

For those of us who are addicted to Starbucks, grabbing your favorite drink is just what we need to get right into the spirit of the holidays. If coffee isn’t your thing, there are plenty of recipes online for holiday drinks that will set the tone perfectly (hot cider anyone?). 

4.         Make holiday foods!

If you have a kitchen – great! If not, get creative with no bake food ideas! Nothing gets people into the spirit of the holidays like making some amazing seasonal foods like pumpkin or cinnamon flavored anything. 

5.         Plan activities that are holiday based. 

Grab a few friends and hit a pumpkin patch or have a decoration and/or baking party. The possibilities for this are endless. Whatever you choose to do, have fun with it and jump right in to that holiday spirit!

Deyana Gorman is a second year pre-biology major at the University of California Santa Barbara from Simi Valley, California. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Deyana can usually be found watching her favorite youtubers, hanging out with friends, playing video games, brushing up on her photography skills, or doing activities with her sorority sisters. She plans on one day studying abroad in Italy, Ireland, and Australia as well as going on road trip adventures throughout California.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.