diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Boost your Creativity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Regardless of whether or not you consider yourself to be a creative person, staying in touch with your creative spark can be difficult. Whether its test season, stress, boredom, or any other external factors, it’s easy to let the struggles of #adulting make you feel out of it. 

Image via Giphy

Luckily, there are some things you can do to get out a creative rut. Here are some tactics I’ve used to get back on track: 

1. Journal

Making an effort to write down how you feel in a notebook can be a good way to release the tension and frustration that builds up during creative blocks. I’ve also found doodling, brainstorming, and stream-of-consciousness writing to be beneficial in getting my ideas going. 

2. Talk it out

If I’m ever struggling with writer’s block and can’t seem to get it together, talking my ideas out with a friend is always helpful. If you’re feeling frustrated with your inability to put your words onto paper, close your laptop and have a nice chat instead! If anything, discussing your ideas will help you brainstorm and come up with an action plan for your project. 

3. Go outside

There’s nothing like going on a run, watching the sunset, or simply sitting outside to get your creative juices flowing. Living in Isla Vista especially offers the advantage of biking to the beach and taking in the ocean breeze. Go outside and get inspired!  

4. Make a playlist  

Listening to music that excites or relaxes you can be a great way to come up with creative projects and ideas. Making a playlist with these types of songs can help when you need to get into the creative zone. 

5. Do nothing!

Sometimes, the best thing to do is to just rest! It’s easy to get caught up in the hectic nature of college life and beyond, so taking the time to just lie in bed and relax can be a good way to de-stress and re-fuel your creativity.

Catalina Fernandez is a senior at UC Santa Barbara, double majoring in Communication and Film/ Media Studies and minoring in Professional Multimedia Writing. Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and raised in Orange County, California, her creative work focuses on personal identity, feminism, and minority representation. As a Campus Correspondent, she is working to expand on her voice as a content creator and leader for a career in entertainment media. See what Catalina is up to on Instagram @catalina_fernandez!
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)