5 Insta-Worthy Brunches in Santa Barbara

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Brunch has to be the greatest invention out there. There’s no better way to spend a weekend morning than by indulging in a plate of eggs, cheese, loads of carbs, and BACON. I saved you some trouble by compiling a few hidden treasures in Santa Barbara that are also wallet friendly. So jot these local joints down because I guarantee  there’s something for everyone!

1. Garrett’s Old Fashion Restaurant

This is the place if you like a classic breakfast with a mom & pops type of atmosphere.

Price: Under $10

What to get: Their $8 full meal that includes 2 eggs, 2 sausages, 2 bacon strips, ham, potatoes and toast. It’s definitely a breakfast for champs. The Monte Cristo sandwich is also highly recommended with the perfect balance of sweet with a savory hint.

2. Cajun Kitchen

Price: $8-12

What to get: Most of the breakfasts are served with a choice of home fries, hashbrowns, or grits and toast, English muffin, tortilla, biscuits, or corn bread. The corn bread (paired with whipped apple butter) is unbeatable. If you don’t mind a breakfast that’s on the heavier side, definitely try the seafood gumbo or jambalaya. The beignets are delicious little treats showered with powder sugar. 

3. Jeannine’s Restaurant and Bakery

Try Jeannine’s if you want a relaxing LA-esque setting with your squad.

Price: Under $20

What to get: If there are any Santa Barbara brunch articles and Jeannine’s isn’t listed, I would seriously question its credibility. It’s the classic brunch spot. The Kahlua Banana French Toast is everyone’s go-to dish. All I can say is it’s syrupy goodness. The breakfast quesadilla is another one of my personal favorites, along with the flourless banana muffins.

4. Boathouse at Hendry’s Beach

Price: Under $20

What to get: Outdoor seating. You’ll enjoy a nice view of the ocean and prancing dogs – the only way to do it in sunny Santa Barbara. As for food, the Boathouse Signature Breakfast ( poached eggs on crab cakes topped with hollandaise drizzle with a side of potatoes) may be pretty pricey for a college student at $16 a plate, but it’s a must-try. It’s so decadent it’ll leave you begging for more. The Belgian Waffles with fresh berries are picturesque and the California Benedict is the perfect choice for vegetarians.

5. Backyard Bowls

The best option if you’re in a hurry or craving something light.

Price: Under $10

What to get: These bowls are acceptable anytime of the day, but why not start off your day with this healthy goodness? The light, fruit filled bowls are refreshing, surprisingly filling and super energizing. My personal go-to is the Island Bowl (a blend of acai, banana, mango, pineapple juice, and coconut milk topped with banana, berries, coconut shavings, granola and honey). The Berry and Green Bowls are also very popular; both have acai and are topped with fresh fruit.

Have a sudden urge to go brunching now? Treat yo’ self to a glorious meal that’ll turn that sleep-deprived finals frown upside down! 

Mya McCann is a fourth year literature student in the College of Creative Studies at UCSB. She currently lives in Bangkok, Thailand and is in the business of running BKK. On the weekends you can find Mya either in the jungle or on an island. On the weekdays she studies Thai and Buddhism and teaches English to sex workers in the red light district. You can follow her adventures on IG: MyaJoy