This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

You know what I love about life? It’s always changing.

I mean, as a person who finds joy in the mundaneness of daily routines, I hate change.

Yet, it’s the exact thing that I really appreciate about life. Throughout our lives, we constantly experience different changes, and through those changes, we get to approach life and the world a little differently.

You’ve probably heard the quote, “Live your best life” somewhere before. I think this quote resonates so much with me, and knowing that life is constantly changing, why not make some of those changes ourselves so that we can live the best life we can?

Here are a few habits I recently picked up to live my best life. They say it takes about a month to make a habit stick, so let’s take these steps together for a happier, healthier, and more productive life!

1.  Get comfortable being you.

Image via Unsplash

Celebrate and embrace you! After all, there’s only one you in this whole entire universe.

Society has set very unrealistic expectations of how you should act, what you can and cannot do, and what kind of person you should be in order to fit in. But let me remind you this: there’s nothing more beautiful than someone who has the confidence to fully embrace themselves. Do what makes you happy.

2. Treat your mind and body well.

Image via Unsplash

After all, they’re the very things that get you through your day and lets you experience your life! Make sure to exercise your mind and body by engaging your brain (through books, museums, people, etc.) and moving your body regularly. Don’t forget that it’s also important to fuel your mind and body with good nutrition too!

3.  Make time for yourself.

Image via Unsplash

In the hubbub of our busy lives, we often forget how important it is to take care of ourselves. Give yourself time (away from work or school) for joy and pleasure. You might want to go for a walk or run by yourself, or you maybe even catch up with an old friend. Whatever you do, you should give yourself some time to relax and unwind. Go easy on yourself.

4. Focus on one thing at a time.

Image via Unsplash

While it is impressive to claim that you’re a multi-tasker, chances are you’re probably not (I don’t think anyone really is). Not only can it be stressful to worry about multiple things at one time and have so many things on your plate, but it can also be counterproductive. Instead, try focusing on one thing at a time. That way, you’re focusing all your energy and effort on that one thing.

5.  Develop an attitude of gratitude.

Image via Unsplash

I firmly believe in the idea that everything happens for a reason. Things happen for a reason, and you get the opportunity to learn from those experiences—whether they be good or bad. By developing an attitude of gratitude in the things in your life, you become happier and always have more. In contrast, when you focus on the things you don’t have, you’ll never have enough.

So, go out there and live your best life

Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)