This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Looking for a way to lose that freshman 15, but just don’t know where to start? People assume that working out for an hour and not improving their diet will generate results, but that’s not the case at all! We understand that as a college student you have to juggle school, work, extracurriculars and still make time for yourself. Worry no more- these 5 easy healthy choices will make all the difference when you try to turn that freshman 15 to sophomore 0!

1)      Drink plenty of water and tea. Get rid of those sugar sports drinks or the carbonated cans that contain liquid suitable for cleaning a toilet- you don’t need that in your body! It’s all about making small healthier switches. Instead of fruit juice, squeeze your own cup of OJ. instead of sports drinks, infuse fruits like strawberries into your water. Trust us when we say that liquid calories are the invisible ones sneaking their way into your body.

2)      Workout 30-45 min 3-5 times a week. This might seem like an obvious one, but it is often overlooked. Working out longer than 45 minutes does not guarantee extra results- if you give it your all for 45 minutes, that should do the job! Working out is a also a great stress reliever that people don’t often take advantage of- use your recreation center at school- it’s free!

3)      Purchase foods with ingredients you can pronounce. It isn’t just about being able to read the ingredients, it’s about knowing what goes inside your body! If the ingredients on a label are less than 10 and great quality, then there is no doubt that what you’re eating is nourishing, rather than damaging. If you can guess what the food is by just reading the ingredients label, then that’s a good sign! Just as Ann Wigmore says, “the food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.” You may not have much control over what the food manufacturers put in their products, but you have complete control over what food you put in your body!

4)      Count nutrients, not calories. Health is measured by the amount of nutrients you consume per calorie. What’s the point of eating 1,200 calories a day to lose weight if they come from a slice of pizza, coke, and fries. 1,200 calories of that is definitely not the same as 1,200 calories from a hummus veggie wrap with a side of fruit and pita chips. We get it- counting calories does hold people accountable to some degree, but don’t make calories the deciding factor for whether you should eat something or not. Remember, a banana is 100 calories…and so is a Twinkie.

5)      Try to make fruits/vegetables the base for your meals. If you’d make fruits and vegetables the most important and biggest part of your plate, you are not only increasing your vitamin and mineral intake, but you’re also getting in the habit of incorporating fruits and veggies into your favorite meals. Love parfaits? Make a greek yogurt parfait with plenty of fruits. Love chips and dip? Why not try veggies and dip. Love milkshakes? Why not make your own shake with lots of fruits and a splash of milk. Love burgers? Why not make your own with whole wheat buns and your choice of protein stacked on top of spinach, tomato, onion, cucumber, and avocado! See the trend here? Go HAM with your fruits and veggies (no pun intended). But really, if you don’t like a certain fruit/vegetable, then you can either learn to love it OR toss it out and explore other healthy alternatives; there is never a shortage of fruits and veggies! 

Allison is a Global Studies major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She is the Assistant Editor at Her Campus UCSB a contributor to the chapter's Instagram, @hercampusucsb. Allison believes that life is about balances, but that you can never have too many breakfast burritos. You can follow Allison's personal Instagram at @allycnco for life around Santa Barbara, good eats, and travels!
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus