This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Fact: Black pants are actual magic.

Not only are black pants amazing at hiding that food stain from lunch, but they make any given outfit look effortlessly sleek and chic! Whether you’re dressing them up for a night downtown or strutting the sidewalk like its a catwalk to your future, black pants truly are a girl’s best friend. So get your wallets ready, because we’re about to show you the five black pants every girl needs in her wardrobe!

1. Leggings

Image via Giphy

Ranging from ninety-dollar Lulu Lemons to a solid five dollar pair from H&M, every girl needs a holy-grail pair of black leggings for breaking a sweat or chilling at home. On top of looking cute with every top ever (crop, long sleeve, off-the shoulder, you name it), black leggings make your butt look great which is a total bonus.

2. Black Jeans (with holes for the grungy and on trend, without for the more functionally focused)

Image via Giphy

Looking to add some edge to your regular comfy tee? Slip into some black denim! These babies add a cool and casual vibe to anything to any outfit of the day. If you are going for a more trendy, grungy aesthetic, consider acid wash or distressed jeans with holes. For the more functionally focused, a pair of clean black Levi’s will do! Worried you’ll blend in too much with your black denim? Have no fear! Each black jean’s choice of waist height, stitching and button color (such as silver, black, or gold) completely transforms a look, so be mindful when shopping!

3. Tights / Fishnets

Are fishnets even considered pants? Sure, why not? Amp up your regular ripped denim look with a pair fishnets! Now you truly look like something straight off Tumblr.

4. Boss Lady Pants (typically more structured material, any cut that makes you feel empowered as hell)

It’s time to channel our inner Hillary Clinton! As great as it would be to be twenty-fun with no responsibilities forever, it’s a good idea to have a solid pair of professional pants. Because they can get pricey and we’re working on a college budget, black is a great option to go with as it’s professional but can be mixed and matched with countless blouses! Bring some life into your boss lady pants by playing around with different silhouettes, structured fabrics, and anything that makes you feel empowered as hell.

5. Statement Pants

Leather, lace, embroidery, or even fringe: black doesn’t equal boring! Walk on the wild side by playing with pops of color in your black bottoms or even go full out with a pair of killer heels to compliment your new look! Going for more chill vibes? Throw on a comfy and cute tee and some Chucks to balance out these beautiful bottoms.

Clearly, there is more than one type of black pants and we want all of them! So what are you waiting for? Start lining up your beautiful black bottoms and get ready to be a total bombshell.

Isabelle is a third-year Gaucho who has never met a dog she didn't like. She's tackling a double major in Communication and Psychology as well as minors in Art & Technology and Education. In her free time, Isabelle enjoys sipping boba, snapping photos, and spending time with her amazing partner.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)