3 Easy Pumpkin Recipes to Eat up Your Halloween Pumpkin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Why is everyone smashing their pumpkin on the pavement when it could be made into yummy eats? ‘Tis the season of pumpkin spice, after all. Try these three simple pumpkin recipes you won’t regret!

1. Pumpkin Dip

Image via Baked in Arizona.

Paired well with apple slices and ginger snaps, this recipe is a delicious (and festive) snack! Not to mention super easy—just combine Greek yogurt, pumpkin purée, maple syrup, and some pumpkin pie spice—and you’ll have a quick and easy appetizer that tastes a lot like pumpkin pie!

2. Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Image via Simply Recipes.

Yes, pumpkin seeds are edible! And they are delicious when coated in oil, sprinkled with your favorite seasoning, and roasted for about 15 minutes in the oven! The beauty of this simple snack is that you can go sweet with brown sugar, salty, or some combination of the two. If you are feeling bold, you can even spice things up with some cayenne and pepper. Enjoy!

3. Soup in a Pumpkin

Image via My Recipes.

Now that you know how to eat the seeds, you may be wondering about the skin. Unfortunately, I can’t provide a tasty way to eat it (compost it in yellow bins on campus!), but here’s my fall guilty pleasure recipe that wouldn’t be anywhere without the pumpkin skin! Scoop the seeds and strings out of your pumpkin. Roast the pumpkin in the oven just to soften it up a bit. As this happens, prepare a cream soup on the stovetop with shallots, pepper, and cream. There are other options if you don’t like shallots—garlic, onion—whatever sounds good for your cream soup! If you are intolerant to milk, you can use vegetable broth and coconut milk to sweeten things up. Finally, pour the soup into the hollowed pumpkin, roast for another half hour to allow the flavors to blend, and voilà! You have your own cream soup in a Halloween pumpkin nonetheless! Bon appetit!

As a Biology major pursuing a Writing Minor, HerCampus ensures that writing remains a part of my everyday life. Food, sustainability, science, feminism... my articles reflect my passions and allow me to communicate with readers about student life and the beautiful UC Santa Barbara community.