10 Young Adult Books You’re Not Too Old For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

College is an awkward time when it comes to reading. You may find yourself asking, “Do I even have time to read a book that wasn’t assigned to me by a sadistic professor?” Or maybe, “Why would I read Game of Thrones when it’s on HBO every Sunday?” Perhaps you’ve looked through a bookshelf and thought, “I’m too old for these Young Adult novels, but too young for those trashy romances my mom reads.” Understandable, but there are some YA books that stand the test of time, tequila, and textbooks. Here’s a list of books that you’ll never be too old for. 

1. It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

Most college students can relate to the protagonist, Craig, a high school student hell bent on getting amazing grades so he can get into an amazing school. The pressue eventually gets to him and he ends up in a mental hospital where he meets some pretty incredible people and finds the courage to overcome his anxiety. It also became a movie with Emma Roberts! You know, if you’re too lazy to read the book. 

2. This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Sarah Dessen is the absolute queen of weaving high school romance tales. This Lullaby is one of her best works, featuring a young girl hardened to love due to watching the disaster that is her mother’s love life. Sounds cliché, but the hesitant relationship between Remy and her new love Dexter inspires everyone from the sappy romantics to the broken hearted.

3. Throne of Glass (series) by Sarah J. Maas

If teenage love isn’t your thing, try this series of books about Celaena, an assasin released from prison to work for the evil king. It’s got hints of Game of Thrones, with some romance and fairies and witches thrown in. Perfect if you love the Katniss/Tris/Arya trend of badass female protaganists! 

4. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

An innocent and truly touching story about first love and the feeling of not fitting in. Set in the 80’s, Rowell throws in plenty of retro references including the walkman that brings Eleanor and Park together in the first place. It will make you nostalgic, angry, and sad, but most of all you’ll fall in love with the characters. 

5. Don’t Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout

After waking up in the woods alone and without memories, Sam tries to rejoin her normal life – until she finds out she used to be the ultimate “mean girl.” While struggling to recreate her image at her high school, Sam also has to deal with the disappearance of her best friend and a heated new romance. Thrilling and suspenseful, Never Look Back is definitely a unique YA novel.

6. Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card

If you’re a Sci Fi lover then this book is just the thing for you – and if you’re not, it will definitely convert you. Card takes young adults and throws them into real world situations like war and government. It’s complicated, shocking, and totally technologically cool. Don’t even think about watching the movie for this one!

7. Paper Towns by John Green

With the movie version coming out relatively soon, this book is about to blow up. Mysterious girl meets awkward guy – drama ensues. Quentin has been obsessed with Margo for years, so when she disappears after an eventuful night together, he decides to chase after her. We follow Quentin as he desperately searches for what he thinks is love, only to realize that there are some people you just can’t tie down.

8. The Mortal Instruments (series) by Cassandra Clare

Clare’s series is finished so you never have to worry about waiting anxiously for the next installment to be released. This may be about a group of high school kids, but the intricate world of vampires, werewolves, and mysterious creatures more than makes up for the age gap. It’s also filled with hilarious characters and, in between the whole magic thing, real teen issues like coming out and unrequited love.

9. North of Beautiful by Justina Chen

As the cover suggests, North of Beautiful deals with the harsh beauty standards teens face and how to see beyond someone’s looks. Terra Cooper spends hours covering the mark on her face, but when she meets a boy named Jacob with scars of his own and a no-care attitude, her perspective on beauty and its worth completely changes. 

10. Harry Potter (series) by J.K. Rowling

Ok this is a bit of given, considering almost everyone and their dog has read this famous series. However, no YA list would be complete without the Boy-Who-Lived’s presence. One can never grow out of a Harry Potter book. After all, your Hogwarts letter is probably still lost in the mail…

Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.