10 Things Relatives Say During The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

There is nothing quite like the holidays: the starbucks cups, punmpkin spice everything, ice skating…oh and most importantly family gatherings.

Here are ten things that relatives are bound to say during one of these auspicious gatherings, oh joy. 

1. “So… what do you plan on doing with your liberal arts major?”

Dont undermine my very expensive education.

2. “Are you dating anyone? I can’t imagine being alone on the holidays.”

Hahahahhah…no

3.”You look like you lost weight! …Are you drinking less?”

My diet is some boxed wine with a side of tequila. But thanks… I guess? 

4. “So UC Santa Barbara eh…do you even study?”

School is hard…okay.

5. “So…a science major? Med school is next, right?”

Hahaha…no.

6. “…Do you really want that second piece of pie…?

Why yes, yes I do. 

7. “You’re looking a little pudgy, drinking too much?”

Uh…did you just call me fat. 

8. “Your parents still do your laundry?!”

I don’t have enough quarters, okay? 

9. “Is that what you’re wearing, a little scandalous dont you think?” 

Actually it is…

10. “Seriously? Why are you still single..?”

Are you happy now? 

Regardless, holidays are fun and having a family to go back to is always somehting to be fortunate about. So count your blessings for your very dysfunctional family…let’s be real would you really want it any other way?

Shefali Agarwal is a second year Communications Major at University of California Santa Barbara, hoping to pursue PR in the future. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Shefali enjoys traveling, eating, reading and playing volleyball. Anything that gets her out there and active is a must do. See what she is up to on Instagram @shefalee!
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.