etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Latino Actors You Need to Start Paying Attention to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

In a recent interview, Puerto Rican actress Gina Rodriguez slammed Hollywood for not having enough Latinx representation. And girl has a point! Other than a handful of token Latino actors, Hollywood pretty much sucks at giving us representation. As Rodriguez stated, there are approximately 55 million Latinos in the Unites States, and we account for approximately 25% of movie ticket purchases. The fact that we’re not included in the films being produced is ridiculous. So, here’s a list of just a few of the already-great Latino actors that we need to start getting behind and supporting. 

1. Karla Souza

Image via Opinamx

Souza is a proud Mexican actress and is currently most known for her role as Laurel in the ABC drama How to Get Away with Murder. She’s also starred in films like Everybody Loves Somebody (2017), Instructions Not Included (2013), and From Prada to Nada (2011). Not to mention girl has some of the BEST eyebrows in the business. Que belleza.

2. Michael Peña

Image via The Hollywood Reporter

Ok, Peña is the best. Although born in the U.S., both his parents are from Mexico. Peña not only portrays Cesar Chavez in the 2014 film with the same name, but he has also acted in multiple big-name movies such as End of Watch (2012), American Hustle (2013), Fury (2014), and Ant-Man (2015). Plus, he’s set to star on season 4 of the Netflix drama Narcos.

3. Cierra Ramirez

Image via Latina 

Ramirez was born in Texas and is of Colombian and Mexican descent. You probably recognize her as Kathy from the Secret Life of the American Teenager (2012-2013) or for her role as Mariana on The Fosters (2013-present). Although Ramirez hasn’t worked too much in the movie industry (she most notably acted alongside Eva Mendes in the 2012 film Girl in Progress), we would love to see more of her on the big screen! 

4. Diego Boneta

Image via Billboard

Because the world is truly a cruel and unfair place it is sleeping on Diego Boneta. This beautiful Mexican actor has starred in the beloved television soap opera Rebelde (2005-2006), as well as Pretty Little Liars (2010-2011), 90210 (2010-2011), Rock of Ages (2012), and Scream Queens (2015)BONUS: Boneta was also Miranda Cosgrove’s love interest in her About You Now music video nearly 10 years ago!  

5. Christian Serratos

Image via NBC New York

Do you all remember Suzie Crabgrass from Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide? That’s Serratos! Christian Serratos is of Mexican and Italian descent, and you’re most likely to know her as bad-ass Rosita from The Walking Dead (2014-present). She’s also had roles in Twilight (all 5 films), The Secret Life of the American Teenager (2011-2012), and American Horror Story: Murder House (2011).  

6. Benjamin Bratt

Image via Musicacinetv

Bratt has indigenous Peruvian roots and was born in San Francisco. He’s had tons of success as an actor, although it’s not widely known that he’s of Latino descent. Bratt has starred in Law and Order (1995-1999), Miss Congeniality (2000), Catwoman (2004), Doctor Strange (2016), and, most recently, voice-acted Ernesto de la Cruz in Disney’s Coco (2017). DID YOU KNOW: Bratt is a UCSB alumni?! That’s right, B.F.A. class of 1986! 

7. Aubrey Plaza 

Image via Campuscircle

In case you didn’t know, Plaza is half-Puerto Rican on her mother’s side. She’s most famous for her role as April in Parks and Recreation (2009-2015), but Plaza has also starred in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010), Monsters University (2013), Dirty Grandpa (2016), and most recently Ingrid Goes West (2017)Additionally, Plaza scored a few episodes on Criminal Minds in 2016 as well as an episode in the Netflix series Easy.

8. Pedro Pascal

Image via RevistaGQ

This gorgeous Chilean actor has been in the business for quite some time, but has recently started gaining traction. Pascal has guest starred on several TV shows, from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1999) to Law and Order (2008) to Homeland (2013). You probably recognize him as Oberyn Martell from Game of Thrones or as agent Javier Peña from seasons 1-3 of Narcos. Pascal has also acted in quite a few films, most recently as Whiskey from Kingsman: Golden Circle in 2017.

9. Camila Mendes 

Image via CelebFamily

Mendes is an up-and-coming actress from Brazilian descent. She scored big with her first acting job as Veronica Lodge from the CW series Riverdale (2016-present), and is set to star in the 2019 film The New Romantic.

10. Diego Luna 

Image via USA Today

This Mexican actor, director and producer has a variety of successful projects under his belt. Luna has starred in films such as Frida (2002), Dirty Dancing Havana Nights (2004), Milk (2008), and Rogue One (2016)Luna also directed and produced the film Cesar Chavez (yes, the very one Michael Peña stars in), as well as voiced-acted Manolo Sanchez in the 2014 animated film The Book of Life. DOUBLE BONUS: Not only did he play Katy Perry’s love interest in her 2011 music video for The One That Got Away, Luna is also set to star alongside Michael Peña in season 4 of Netflix’s Narcos. Super exciting!

Sociology major at UC Santa Barbara. Passions include: Taylor Swift, fashion, FRIENDS, chocolate, Snapchat and sassy t-shirts.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)