Your Fashion Guide For Spring Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Spring Quarter has finally rolled around. All sunny days and high 70s are in sight (not that LA sees much different), and Sunset Rec is a weekend hotspot once again. But when we leave Sunset Rec and cover up our bikinis, we’re faced with the question: What to wear? The Harper’s Bazaar report of the last NY Spring Fashion Week gives us a bit of a clue. I’ve picked out three notable trends that they showcased, and now it’s our turn to try them out. 

1. Florals

Floral prints have been a favorite of mine for a while now. Without trying, I end up at checkouts with a pile of florals time and time again. Considering my inner flower child, I was most excited to hear that floral prints aren’t going anywhere this Spring. With so many ways to do it, it’s not hard. Dresses, shirts, pants, shorts, jewelry – essentially all of the items in your wardrobe can feature some flowers. Right now Forever 21 has a feature page of all their flowery clothes so we can enjoy cute florals on a college girl budget.

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Category.aspx?br=f21&category=Promo_Flower_Fest

2. Pastels

Pastels aren’t here just here for Easter weekend this Spring. The light, “sorbet” colors are sticking around for a bit longer, and it seems to match the Spring mood. Pastels allow you to go romantic and super girly. Here’s a good collection of pastels to don this quarter:

http://www.missguided.co.uk/clothing/trends/pastel-pretty

3. Color Blocking

The third and final trend I’m outlining is a bit bolder than the other two. Color blocking makes a statement using the simple components of solid colors. It doesn’t seem too complicated, right? Unfortunately it can be harder than it looks, and you might want to consult some sources before going out in public with your first color blocking creations. This blogger has a good tutorial on how to do this trend the right way.

http://www.refinery29.com/colorblocking-how-to-video

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.