Why You Should Start A Blog in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Blogging has become an increasingly popular hobby for young women all over the world with the main demographic for bloggers being between the ages of 21-35 (https://www.sysomos.com/reports/blogger-demographics). Not only is the hobby fun, but it can also prove beneficial for several reasons. So, why should you start blogging duting college life?

1. Money

I started my blog a couple of years ago and since then have been contacted by several beauty and fashion brands in order to create sponsored posts where a brand will either pay you ‘x’ amount for a post or send you free stuff to review and post your thoughts about online. During college, not all of us have time for a structured part-time job but with blogging you can dedicate as much or as little time as you want reaching out to brands and networking in order to create revenue. All of this you can do from the comfort of your bed with Netflix on in the background.

2. Experience

Many jobs weigh in a candidate’s ability to be able to express themselves clearly in typed projects. This is especially true for careers in which you will be expected to write regularly, i.e teaching, journalism, etc. You can think of your blog as an online CV where you can direct your future employers to years of hard work and dedication to written content online that you’ve garnered throughout your college experience. Whilst you may think that your opinion on fashion/beauty will not be relevant to the job you’re applying for, having a blog shows how you express yourself in written word and great time management (you run a blog AND study for 12 units? Impressive.)

3. Portfolio

Like the ‘Experience’ section, your blog acts as a counterpart to your CV. But it’s also a place where employers can search for you and contact you through your blog to offer you jobs. I managed to secure a part-time job at UCLA through my social media presence online. You can present your blog at interviews or on your CV or you could wait to be contacted for a job through your website itself.

4. It’s fun and therapeutic!

Your blog does not have to be personal, it could even be anonymous. But there is something very therapeutic about writing your thoughts and feelings about certain topics online. Having a socially conscious blog means you’ll be writing about social issues that are dear to you which can then inspire others to make a change. If you’re aiming for a more carefree blog centering around topcis such as lifestyle, fashion, and beauty then preparing content for your readers is actually really fun. Gathering great photo and video content really make your blog stand out!

If you want to start a blog but aren’t too sure how, you can always tweet me for advice! @abigailalicex http://abigailalicex.com

Photo Credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/552042866799569278/

Blogger & Youtuber interested in beauty, fashion & travel. Currently on a study abroad year at UCLA, originally from the UK.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.