Update on Hurricane Matthew

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As of October 6, 2016, Hurricane Matthew has touched down on Florida and President Barack Obama has declared a federal state of emergency. A Category 5 hurricane, Hurricane Matthew is set to travel up a the southeastern region of the United States and make its way to North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.

264 deaths have been counted in Haiti and aid is expected to be sent from the United States. The United States itself has a death toll of 3 people and, like Haiti, is expected to rise as the storm ranges on. Fortunately, Facebook has added a status option to check in as safe to alert family and friends. Our thoughts are with those affected by Hurricane Matthew.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.