The UCLA Food Closet and How it Serves the Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The Community Programs Office houses various student and retention outreach projects but none other provides free food for any passerby student. Known as the UCLA Food Closet, it was founded in 2009 by alumni Abdullah Jadallah when he was a student at the time. It was his vision to fill a void in the student community. Jadallah knew that many students struggled with hunger and were unable to purchase food or did not have time to stop at a food market on campus. With the UCLA Food Closet, students are now able to make it through the day thanks to receiving their nutrient necessities.

The Community Programs Office interns maintain and restock the food closet with the help of various donors who stop by the school and drop off food. One of its most active donors, Deborah “Bagel Mom” Elkins, provides a lot of food that would go to waste. Some of the food comes from Whole Foods while others come from other donors or bakeries than contact Deborah that the food will go to waste. She is aware of the financial crisis the students face and has a strict policy that food is one serving per student, as the Food Closet is meant to provide to as many students as it possibly can. It is her pride and joy when students leave notes and thank her personally for her contribution.

While everyone has had their individual experience with hunger and the UCLA Food Closet, I am one who is grateful for the food that is provided because it keeps me going throughout the day. As a CPO intern myself, I help load and stock the food closet and keep it clean. My day is made when students thank me for my work when I maintain the closet and I personally love it when few students ask me questions about the closet. When I am not on duty, I too enjoy the great food, thanks to Bagel Mom. As a student that is always on the go, I do not have time to wait in line and buy food, I am too busy to sit down and have a meal, I am always on campus from early morning to late at night and am unable to swipe on The Hill, or occasionally also have a financial crisis myself. I have been fortunate enough to have had a conversation with Bagel Mom and listen to how she manages to receive donations for us for the day. She has told me that she would much rather hear my story and I explain to her what it is like to be a hungry student on campus. It is stories like mine that motivates her to serve the community and everyone on campus, whether involved in the CPO space or not, is welcome to swing on by in the Student Activities Center and pick up some food to eat.

CPO Internship Director Dennis Santiago currently manages the UCLA Food Closet to continue upholding the vision of Abdullah Jadallah and the mission of CPO. Inside the food closet there is a book where students are able to write their testimonies and share their thanks to the CPO interns, Dennis Santiago, and the donors. It is because of this positive community that we want to cater to students’ needs and provide them with food that they need to do well mentally, physically, and academically.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.