UCLA Alumna Sara Bareilles’ Take-Over of the Grammy’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

On Sunday, January 26, 2014, Bruin Sara Bareilles appeared at the 56th annual Grammy’s, where she was nominated for two honorable categories: Best Pop Solo Performance and Grammy of the Year for her latest album The Blessed Unrest. From a variety of interviews, she has stated her surprise and shock when she found out and even made it her Twitter background. Bareilles beat out many critically acclaimed artists for a spot in the Top 5, including Justin Timberlake’s 20/20 Experience and Kanye West’s Yeezus. She competed against Taylor Swift’s Red, Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ The Heist, and Kendrick Lamar’s, Good Kidd, M.A.A.D. City.

Throughout the night, Bareilles tweeted and instagramed (@sarabareilles) at the Grammy’s, giving her fans the up close view of her exciting night. Although she did not take home the win, she expressed via Twitter her gratitude and after posted a photo on Instagram with a caption that read, “Katniss hair + removal of braids = Lorde’s awesome hair. #wishitweremine.” However, all of this would not have been possible without her origin of fan base, none other than UCLA students herself! According to an article called Sara Bareilles ’03 from the UCLA alumni website, Bareilles stated, “Honestly, I thank UCLA for providing me with such a strong support system of fans and fellow musicians.” Hopefully when Bareilles releases her next album, she will take home that Grammy and make one for history, although she has made herself and UCLA extremely proud. She may not be at UCLA anymore but she will forever be a Bruin, making her just like anyone else on campus.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.