The Top 5 Things I Learned Growing Up Around The Entertainment Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The entertainment industry can often be a mystery to people with no experience within it. It is very easy to make assumptions about what truly goes on in the realm of entertainment. Getting the opportunity to grow up around it while still maintaining a considerably normal upbringing has given me insight into the best of both worlds. There are always things we can learn, both good and bad, from individuals who commit their lives to creating for the enjoyment of others. There is also a great deal us outsiders must remember when it comes to the lives of actors and executives alike.

There is a lot we can take away from this booming industry that has maintained one of the most prominent places in our society. Here are the top five things I have learned growing up around the entertainment industry.

1. The actor is not the character

To the outside world, acting seems like a fun job to have. So many young people dream of being actors. However, to portray a fictional person changes the actor’s life completely. They embody these characters and all that comes with them. Finding separation from the actor, their beliefs and life decisions, and the character can sometimes be fuzzy. For an actor, when deciding to take on a role, it is more than just how much money they will make and what credits they will get. It becomes how they will be perceived afterwards throughout the industry, and what kind of actor they will be characterized as.

2. There is always a platform

Everyone has a platform! Whether they are an actor, a producer, or a first assistant to the makeup artist, the entertainment industry provides greater access to influence things bigger than just a career. Whether it’s the ability to get involved in charity work or influence change through other movements, being in the entertainment industry opens doors. Anyone can create a worldly change. Things like partnering with an actor to create a buzz towards an educational program or working with a studio to donate to charities allow even the smallest positions to enact a great amount of change. The entertainment industry really does work with people of all levels to create a strong basis to influence good, encouraging people of all professions to do the same.

3. Presentation is key

There are always people watching. As crazy as that may sound, it can actually be a positive thing. There will always be new opportunities for people in any position throughout the industry to improve themselves and their careers. This can also apply to people not yet in the industry. Especially living in Los Angeles, you never know who you could be sitting next to at lunch. Because of that, one must always be on their A-game and assume that everyone is watching.

4.  Be Passionate

When you look at you favorite actor on TV it is safe to assume they love what they are doing, because chances are they do. Finding your passion can be the promoting factor in the happiness of your life. And once you find that passion, commit to it because the people who walk red carpets in designer clothes did not have that life handed to them but persisted to that point. Anyone can do the same and, whether it’s the head of a studio or the person in charge of craft services, be influenced by their passion.

5. Find your confidence

People will tell you in any profession that having self confidence is necessary to your success. Being around actors and comparing yourself to them can definitely hinder your confidence because they exude so much to the outside world. Remembering that they are human and they had to find their own confidence is a reminder to their fans that anyone can be anything. Try not to compare yourself and remember that they are just as worried about their last Instagram post as you are. Trust me when I say they have bad days too.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.