Top 5 Reasons to Start Running

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

1. You might live longer

Running is beneficial for slowing down the aging process! If you run regularly, you are less likely to experience bone and muscle loss as you age.  Those who run and regularly exercise are continually building muscle and strengthening their bones so they will not weaken as easily.  Stanford University School of Medicine did a study with 538 runners and 423 non-runners.  They concluded that regular exercise helps people stay active and reduces the risk of death by increasing cardiovascular fitness, increasing bone mass, lowering inflammation, improving response to vaccination, and improving memory.

2. Its cheap and easy to get started

All you need is a good pair of running shoes and a sports bra and you are ready to go.  No gym membership, set time, or extra effort needed!  Plus, everyone knows how to run!  While it may take time to get faster and increase your endurance, all you have to do is put one foot in front of the other in order to improve with time. 

3. Its efficient

As college students, we all have busy schedules that change each day.  That is why running is perhaps the most efficient way to squeeze in a workout!  If you run at a pace of six miles per hour you can burn around 700 calories.  In a short amount of time you are able to boost your cardiovascular fitness and burn about one-fifth a pound of pure body fat! 

4.  You will stress less

Running provides an excellent break from your hectic day.  While you are doing your body a favor by improving your cardiovascular fitness, you are also giving your mind a break from whatever is stressing you out.  Many women find that a short run is the perfect time to step away from a stressful problem and allow yourself to not only clear your head, but think of solutions as well. Running is even used by mental health experts to help in the treatment of clinical depression and drug or alcohol addiction. 

5. It can help prevent disease

Regular exercise, including running, reduces the risk of several types of cancer, including colon, breast, endometrial, and lung.  Running can help prevent heart disease, strokes, and diabetes. It boosts immunity, lowers blood pressure, and raises good cholesterol.  And if that isn’t enough persuasion, running also boosts cartilage and strengthens the ligaments around your joints, which help prevent osteoporosis.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/health-benefits-of-running?cat=13226
http://running.about.com/od/treadmillrunning/f/treadmillrun.htm
http://www.menshealth.com/run/4-reasons-you-need-to-start-running.php

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.