Spring Blockbusters: the top 5 movies to watch before summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Even though production companies chug out the blockbuster movies during the sweltering heat of summer, the heart of Westwood is flanked by two wonderful theaters: the FOX Theater and the Bruin Theater. So make use of them! Use it as an excuse to get away from the seemingly endless pages of boring reading assignments and head on down to check out the top 5 flicks to see this spring.

1.  Beastly
What girl wouldn’t appreciate a modern-day remake of The Beauty and the Beast featuring the new Robert Pattinson, the sexy British Alex Pettyfer. Based on the book of the same name by…Kyle (Pettyfer) is turned into a “beast” by a witch after humiliating her at a school dance. He has one year to break the spell with true love. But with his face etched with tattoos, veins painfully showing on his pale face, and metal etching into his flesh, he has nearly given up. But then, Linda comes along. Will she fall in love with him in time? Watch it to find out. Not all fairytales have happy endings…

2.  HOP

No, really, the Easter Bunny does exist! Fred (played by James Marsden) can testify to this fact – because he’s the one who ran over the little fur ball. In this lovely mesh of animation and live-action, this feel-good comedy is about a handicapped Easter bunny who can’t hop (but can poop jellybeans!) and a jobless schmo working together to save Easter. I’m sure even Elvis would appreciate this movie about candy, chicks, and rock ‘n’ roll.

3.  Your Highness
In the medieval era of Arthurian legends, the women always seem to be kidnapped by an evil, crazed man hell-bent on taking over the world. What do the men do? They act as gallant heroes, rushing headfirst into danger to rescue the damsel in distress. In Your Highness however, the woman kicks butt and the man is a lazy bum with an IQ of 50. Throw in some rather suggestive lines, the gorgeous James Franco (a Bruin alum, by the way), and you have a must-see medieval comedy where the tables have turned.

4.  Sucker Punch

Here at HerCampus, we’re all about girl power. Seems fitting that a movie about women taking control of their lives makes the list of movies to catch. This action and fantasy film follows the story of Babydoll who is imprisoned in a ward for the insane. She images an alternate universe where she shoots and slices her way to collecting five objects that will help her escape.  It’s been described as an “Alice in Wonderland with machine guns.” Definitely wouldn’t want to miss this.

5.  The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Our favorite sexy pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow, and his crew of scabrous dogs returns t’ the silver screen t’ seek out the Fountain o’ Youth. Obviously, such a treasure won’t be so easy to get. Gotta drink some rum, catch a mermaid, face Blackbeard (the scariest pirate of them all), betray a few people, drink some more rum, deal with a woman from the past, and drink rum again. So if it’s “yo ho, yo ho, a pirate’s life for me!” be sure to not miss this fourth installment in the Pirate franchise.

Pictures:
http://blackandmarriedwithkids.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Hop-Movie.jpg
http://www.suckerpunchtrailer.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Sucker-Punc…

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.