Protect Your Skin!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Image credits to: readytotransform.com and burkewilliamsspa.com

My walk to class this past week was brutal! The heat had me dying on BruinWalk and stopping at every water fountain I could find. The increase in temperature means we are all busting out our summer clothes and dying to get down to the beach. But before we do, it’s important to remember that protecting our skin is incredibly important and often overlooked. Here are a few tips on how to save your skin from the sun’s harmful rays:

1. Wear suncreen: There’s a reason Target has an entire wall dedicated to this stuff. It’s probably the easiest and most effective thing you can do to protect your skin. Apply it 30 minutes before you go outside. Make sure you also reapply it throughout the day. It’s just like make-up, it’s effectiveness wears off after a little while. If you have sensitive skin, there’s still a brand out there for you! Just read the labels and be happy you’re doing something wonderful for your skin. 
  2. Be aware: The most dangerous hours to be exposed to the sun are between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Try to stay in the shade during that time, but remember that shade only provides partial protection. I would recommend staying indoors if possible. Remember that the sun’s rays bounce off of reflective surfaces, which includes the floor. The rays also penetrate through clouds. Just because you can’t see the sun, that doesn’t mean it’s not there! 
  3. Don’t go tanning: Tanning is the worst thing you can do for your skin. Indoor tanning is just awful. But outdoor tanning is still really bad. The lighter your skin is (so the more you probably want a tan), the more susceptible your skin is to burning. It’s just a bad idea to sit on the beach with tanning oil on your skin. 
  4. Cover up: The best way to protect your skin from the sun is to cover it. With the brutal heat, I know it’s not a very appealing option. But try to cover as much as you can because physical barriers are the most effective barriers. If you hate wearing pants in the heat as much as I do, consider wearing a maxi skirt. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.