Profile: Lindsay Arnold from ‘Dancing With the Stars’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

There are few things that I like more than competitive reality TV. Dancing With the Stars is definitely one up there with on my fave shows. I was lucky enough to interview Lindsay Arnold, a pro on DWTS. Lindsay Arnold is a professional dancer that first gained household recognition with her appendence on So You Think You Can Dance. For this season, Arnold is paired up with David Ross. David Ross is a former MLB baseball catcher that first began his career with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Ross went on to win two World Series championships with the Boston Red Sox in 2013 and with the Chicago Cubs in 2016.

Her Campus: Considering that you’ll be working with David Ross, how great of a baseball player would you consider yourself?

Lindsay Arnold: Terrible… haha I don’t think I have EVER hit a baseball with a bat (maybe softball when I was very young) I have very little experience. 

HC: Are you hoping for David to teach some moves outside of the dance studio and into the batting cages?

LA: He already has taught me so much about the game itself which has made me appreciate it even more. We haven’t gotten a chance to get into a batting cage yet but plan on doing that very soon! 

HC: You were pretty young when you joined Dancing With the Stars, how do you feel like the show has allowed to grow and mature along the way?

LA: I have learned so much through my time on DWTS! I started the show when I was only 18 and didn’t really know fully who I was yet. Throughout this show I have gained so much confidence in who I am as a woman and as a dancer. I have learned to be proud of who I am and not change for anyone or anything. 

HC: What does your typical day look like when you’re training for your dance competitions look like?

LA: During DWTS we rehearse every day of the week for at least 4 hours but most of the time 6 hours. When I am not rehearsing I am either choreographing the next routine, going to a wardrobe fitting, doing an interview, or relaxing at home. There is not a lot of time for anything else other than the show and it’s important to stay focused throughout. 

HC: What’s the hardest part of training?

LA: As I said before it’s a lot of work and you rarely have time for anything other than dancing so it’s hard sometimes to get time for yourself. It’s very important for me to have downtime where I can completely relax and let go of all my stresses. 

HC: How do you discover that dance was your ultimate passion?

LA: The first time I truly realized that dance was my passion and was what I wanted to do for my career was during my first live performance on SYTYCD. I guess before that moment I hadn’t recognized how much potential my career could have if I continued to work hard and push for what I wanted so I did that and now I am so grateful to be where I am today. 

HC: If you could be anything else beside a fabulous dancer what would you be?

LA: I have always loved singing. I still want to give it a shot and would love to make that another part of my career! 

HC: If you had one advice for college girls what would it be?

LA: Nothing is more important that being comfortable in your own skin and loving yourself. Be confident in who you are and don’t let anyone take away from who you are.

*images courtesy of Brandon Showers

Mariana is a fourth year student UCLA majoring in International Development Studies and minoring in Urban and Regional Studies. She loves anything and everything with glitter on it. On her free time she enjoys eating acai bowls with her pet bunny, Lenord
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.