nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Profile: Bruin Belle’s Stephanie Bueno

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Meet Stephanie Bueno, a third-year human biology and society student, and future panelist of the Leadership Conference of the Bruin Belles Service Association. She’ll speak about her experiences as a First Generation college student and Latina in S.T.E.M—you go girl!

Bruins Belles is an on-campus, all female, philanthropic organization that focuses on giving back to the community, empowering women, and fostering a good campus culture. Through their five aspects of the association—Philanthropy, Fundraising, Campus Culture, Social, and Women’s leadership—they strive to empower fellow women and they provide more than 10,000 hours of service a year to the UCLA campus and around the Los Angeles area.

Her Campus: What prompted you to join Bruin Belles, and why specifically an all women’s philanthropic group?

Stephanie Bueno: I was super drawn to Bruin Belles since freshman year, but always rushed through the application until this year when I realized it was something I really wanted to do. I was super interested, because although I have always been engaged in community service throughout high school and college, I never really had experience in an organization that focused on empowering women. I think there are a lot of organizations that help you develop into a better leader and person, but I really felt that Belle’s would be able to assist me in not only being a better leader but also a better advocate for women. So far it’s been extremely rewarding and I feel uplifted and inspired by every single person in the club. I know it sounds cheesy but Belles are truly remarkable women. 

HC: Why did you want to be a panelist for the Bruin Belle Leadership conference, and what message do you wish to share as a panelist?

SB: I wanted to be a panelist because I figured it would be a great opportunity to share my story and hopefully help people who have had similar experiences than me. I think many times these events can be very empowering but then can also make people hyper-aware of their shortcomings, I want to just be very candid about my experiences as a First Generation college student and Latina in S.T.E.M. Transitioning into a prestigious competitive academic setting was a not the easiest thing, but I have maintained by resolve to pursue medicine. I really just want to make it known that its okay and normal to struggle, and that struggling is part of the learning and growth process that is vital in order to be successful. 

HC:  What are you passionate about sharing during the Leadership Conference and what is your goal you wish to achieve during the event?

SB: I am very passionate about spreading a message of positivity, and persistence. I really just want to make it clear to people that they are never alone in their experiences and that it is humanizing and humbling to share our faults so we can be more in tune with our strengths. The theme of this conference is rooted and reaching and I think that perfectly conveys the message I want to share. 

HC: Why do you believe philanthropy/community service is important in college?

SB: I think community service is super important in college because we live in a society where people are very focused on individual and monetary success. I think this causes many people to lose their humility and humanity along the way. Being engaged in community service and philanthropy can really bring you back to earth and help foster altruism. I think developing a sense of community especially in college when people are making big career choices allows people to have a better sense of purpose. Community service is also just personally gratifying, college can be super stressful and taxing but engaging in philanthropy/community service is a really good way to replenish your energy and uplift your spirit.