Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UCLA News

Bruin Day Sees UCLA Admissions Rates Drop

By Katie Takakjian
April 19, 2014 - 7:58pm

On Saturday morning, thousands of high school seniors, along with their parents, siblings, and other family members swarmed onto campus for UCLA's Bruin Day. Designed to give prospective students a look at what their lives might be like on UCLA's campus, Bruin Day provides a wealth of resources for these students. Much of the undergraduate student population has been recruited to help in some way. Whether it's hosting a new student in their dormitory, giving tours of the campus, or just helping out in the dining halls, UCLA Bruins are helping to usher in a new freshman class. READ MORE

Campus Celebrity: Natalie Okuhara

By Elena Guevara
April 19, 2014 - 7:00pm

Get to know one of UCLA's pre health students that continually combines her academic talents with her passion for helping others... Name: Natalie Okuhara Hometown: Sacramento, CA Year: Junior Major: Psychobiology If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?             "I love living in LA, but a place I've always wanted to visit and live (at least for a little while) is New York City. I just love the big-city feel and knowing there's always something new, fun, and exciting to do." READ MORE

The UCLA Clothesline Project fights gender-based violence

By Elena Guevara
April 10, 2014 - 5:00pm

0in;line-height:200%;background:white">photo creds : http://www.women4change.ucla.edu/clothesline.htm If you wandered into north campus anytime this week, you probably noticed clotheslines hung on the trees in Dickson Court. This was the UCLA Clothesline Project. The project is a non-partisan feminist organization that aims to raise awareness about gender-based violence and related hate crimes. READ MORE

LA Hacks

By samahpirzada
April 9, 2014 - 7:32pm

This weekend UCLA will be hosting LA Hacks, the priemere hackathon of the west coast. According to the LA Hacks website, a hackathon is a student competition to build the most exciting technology products within 36 hours. Technology professionals judge the software and hardware based off of creativity, technical difficulty, polish, and usefulness. Winners will recieve $20,000 worth of prizes. The event is free for hackers and includes in-state transportation, food, and drinks. This year, LA Hacks is organizing a petting zoo for the hackers as a break. READ MORE

UCLA Dance Marathon 2014

By Kelly Cheuk Ying Ho
April 7, 2014 - 12:55am

Photo credits: Dance Marathon at UCLA This year, nearly 900 people participated in the 13th annual Dance Marathon, a fundraising event where students pledge to stay on their feet for 26 hours, to raise money to combat pediatric AIDS. The Dance Marathon took place in Pauley Pavilion, where students danced to upbeat music and flashing lights, and sang along to songs such as "Everytime We Touch" by Cascada. Students managed to raise $445,000 this year, a little dip from last year's $475,400 fundraising total.   READ MORE

Bruins Win Pac-12 Tournament Against Wildcats

By Anisha Banda
March 16, 2014 - 12:14pm

Bruins were all smiles yesterday as they defeated the Arizona Wildcats 75-71 yesterday. UCLA began the game with a comfortable lead in the first half, until Arizona started to regain ground. At halftime the score was 43-40 Bruins. Kyle Anderson - who was named the tournament's most valuable player - scored 21 points and had 5 assists.  The game was neck to neck towards the end of the last half. With less than one minute left, the Wildcats and Bruins were tied 68-68 until UCLA Sophomore Adams made a three pointer, and sealed the win to everyone's delight. READ MORE

Asics Los Angeles Marathon 2014

By Aslin Osmara Paxtor
March 9, 2014 - 5:40am

Los Angeles hosted the 29th annual Los Angeles Marathon sponsored by Asics and gave a fun opportunity for the local community to check out. The course, known as From Stadium to Sea, began from Dodger Stadium, located at the top of Elysian Park and runs throughout Los Angeles, ending in the city of Santa Monica on Ocean Avenue, as it does so every year. On March 9th 2014, people from all around the city as well as foreigners from outside the city came together to run 26.2 miles, for reasons such as charity fundraisers to achieving their personal goal of running a marathon. READ MORE

Welcome to Westwood: ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen

By Ekta Partani, Aslin Osmara Paxtor, Katie Takakjian
March 6, 2014 - 9:59pm

Tired of always going to CPK, BJ’s, or Taco Bell? Are you up for a unique and exotic culinary adventure that won’t break the bank? Well, look no further than Westwood’s newest restaurant—ShopHouse. Nestled right among the restaurants on Broxton Avenue, Shop House presents the spicy, the savory, and the bold taste of Southeast Asia in a bowl.  The Shop House bowls are made to fit each and every person’s unique tastes. Diners are allowed to choose what they wish to add to their bowls from a variety of different options. READ MORE

Bruin Basketball Against Oregon Ducks

By Elizabeth Zhang
March 2, 2014 - 3:40pm

READ MORE

Hilary Clinton Tickets Cause Chaos

By Katie Takakjian
February 21, 2014 - 4:59pm

Months ago, UCLA announced that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would be coming to UCLA's campus to speak. Immediately, Facebook was flooded with students planning their camp outs and hashtagging "#Hillary2016". However, as the ticket release date got closer, the CTO announced that no camp outs would be allowed.   Told to line up for 7 AM ticket distribution at 6 AM on Wednesday morning, students still planned ahead. Some got there as early as 2 AM and formed orderly lines stretching from the CTO, in front of Pauley Pavillion and back up BruinWalk. READ MORE