This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It can be daunting having the whole city of Los Angeles at your fingertips but not knowing what adventure to tackle first. There’s so much to do and so little time in which to do it! If you have a few spare hours this weekend and need a trip idea, here’s a route you can follow.

1.     How: The Metro Rapid 720

Simply walk through Westwood to the stop for the Metro Rapid 720 on Wilshire and Westwood Boulevards. Although there are closer bus stops to campus, this location has the Rapid, which stops less frequently so it is supposedly more efficient for going downtown. The bus trip will take about an hour each way.  

2.     Where: Downtown LA.

I got off at 6th and Broadway in downtown LA. When you return, you will want to catch the same Rapid at 5th and Broadway.

3.     What: Pershing Square

A few blocks from the bus stop is Pershing Square, a park-like area that is perfect for people-watching, admiring the city, or merely strolling through. It is architecturally complicated, with various benches, walls, and cement pathways cutting through the lawn. The sunlight glinted off an artificial waterfall that cascaded onto the stone-tiled ground, so it is a perfect scene for snapping selfies in downtown LA. An artist may find inspiration from the wall of abstract and modern paintings that is on display. There were a few homeless individuals napping on benches, but tourists were also seen pointing at the metallic skyscrapers that line all edges of square. It really feels like the typical city scene with the skyline, including a rooftop restaurant nearby.

4.     What: Bottega Louie

For lunch, I walked further onto Grand Avenue to Bottega Louie, a restaurant, café, and Patisserie all in one. Every aspect of Bottega Louie screams classiness: the carpet, the grand white exterior, the large windows that offer light and a glimpse at the city of LA. You can either eat in the formal sit-down restaurant in the back of the building or in the café-style seating with small round tables. I would recommend the trenne pasta with prime rib for a delicious lunch – the pasta was unique in shape and texture and the sauce was packed with rich flavors. However, the highlight is the elegant dessert counter. The front bakery cases are lined with elaborate pastries, cakes, and fruit tarts of every shape and shade. But the best part is their macaroons. These idyllic, soft French cookies are made in a rainbow of colors and gourmet flavors, including salted caramel, rose, and earl gray, which is especially beautiful because the it’s decorated with gold flakes. Though these treats are expensive at $2.50 a cookie, they are certainly Instagram-worthy.

5.     What: Walt Disney Concert Hall

Before heading back to UCLA, I ventured a few more blocks to the famous Walt Disney Concert Hall. It was an uphill trek much like the hills of campus, but at the end of the journey was the shiny and striking architecture of the concert hall. This well-known landmark of LA lived up to my expectation. I’m sure you can purchase a ticket to attend an event inside the stunning concert hall if you’d like, but I just peeked in to see it before returning to the bus stop. I entered through the grandiose lobby briefly to see the various escalators and bizarre design of the ceiling. It, like the outside of the building, is chunky and reminiscent of a metallic Sydney Opera House.

So if you ever have an afternoon to spare, check out these places and get a taste of downtown Los Angeles. The entire trip including travel time took me about five hours but I was fortunate to experience three varied aspects of LA with the park, the food, and the landmark. 

Lindsay was the president/editor-in-chief of the UCLA chapter of Her Campus from 2015-2018. She was previously the Viral Section Editor at Her Campus and an Editorial Intern at the headquarters in Boston. Lindsay grew up in Washington state and transitioned to love the Southern California sunshine while studying communications and environmental science at UCLA. Twitter: @WeinbergLindsay.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.