Isla Vista Tragedy Vigil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Image courtesy of Youmun Alhlou. 

On Monday May 26 at 8:00PM, hundreds of UCLA students gathered outside of Royce Hall with candles in hand, standing in solidarity with their UCSB peers. The event was meant to provide an outlet for students to express their feelings and mourn the loss of fellow students at a sister campus. Many people spoke to the crowd about how they were personally affected by the Isla Vista tragedy. 

Image from USA Today. 

Background:

The Isla Vista Tragedy was a shooting that occured in Isla Vista on Friday, May 23rd. Elliot Rodgers, a disturbed racist and mysoginistic, went on a violent rampage killing seven (including himself) and wounding thirteen people. Rodgers released a diatribe and several YouTube videos in which he described his hatred for all of the women that had rejected him. He promised them a “day of retribution” where he would punish them for depriving him of a sexual experience. 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.