bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Get Started On A Gym Routine You WILL Stick To!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Winter break is officially over and as we all know, that means its time to commit to yet another “lose x amount of weight and be healthy next year” New Year’s Resolution that we just may not complete, yet again. But, the past is the past and I am hear to guide you into a gym routine you WILL stick to ~this time~ in order to achieve and progress day by day with your goals however big or small they might be.

Now, you are motivated and ready to start… but you may be thinking “how do I start?”

I suggest to start small. This rings especially true when it comes to choosing the amount of days you will go to the gym. If you haven’t stepped into the gym for a while, then maybe six out of the seven days is not ideal, as your muscles will be too fatigued and you will be too tired to return to the gym. Instead, choose three or four days, like Monday, Wednesday, Fridays and/or Saturdays. Over time, you will learn what works best and be able to go five or six times (should advise your doctor for what is best for you).

The next step is to go. As simple as that. If you do not make it a habit, you will not create a sustainable gym routine. As a college student, I am busy and often want to neglect the gym. But, a simple method I use is to dress in my athletic gear the days I want to go to the gym. I choose a time and stick with that time. I create a static schedule and I find it easier to stick with it. In doing so, I go through my day with my schedule in mind. Therefore, I know exactly when and how much time I have designated for the gym, not deciding between yes and no.

One of the hardest struggles people tend to have is actually working out. Feeling intimidated often causes people not to work out to the best of their ability or simply to just stop working out. I know when I first started, I felt uncomfortable and unfit to use certain machines or do certain workouts around people who seemed to be very fit and gym savvy. I would get the confidence to do some burpees or go to the squat rack, but as I approached the area I felt everyone staring and would just return to the elliptical and call it a ‘workout’. This is not okay! Do not limit yourself because of something known as the spotlight effect, where we often overestimate just how much people are truly paying attention to us. The truth is they do not care, and neither should you! Go to the gym, smash your workout and leave feeling great.

As to the workouts themselves, my best advice is to start off with dumbbell workouts that you can later replicate and/or add with a bench or a machine. Get your body used to the changes it will undergo. Aim to do weightlifting AND cardio (especially HIIT). There are a TON of youtube videos out there that can help you choose beginner friendly workouts, which can be done in the corner at the gym; whatever it takes to get you working out ~comfortably~. Remember start small. You will learn as you go. Stay focused and motivated.

Ultimately, you can have a structured routine and pinpoint your workouts to the second, but a gym routine you WILL stick to will be one that you will commit to. Remember why you are at the gym and what your long term goals are, taking small steps and realize that this is for you and only you. If you prioritize your gym or activity time in your everyday life and make good meal choices, like these healthy breakfast ideas, then you are one step closer to reaching your goals.

Gif courtesy from giphy.com

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.