GET OUT OF THE BRUIN BUBBLE: Five Study Locales that Are Sure to Have You Acin’!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

In the midst of midterm season, and with finals quickly approaching, an anxious buzz can be felt throughout campus as students anticipate late night cramming sessions and dollars spent on caffeinated drinks (especially all those courageous enough to brave South Campus). Although the balmy weather seems like a cruel joke that Mother Nature decided to play on us just as we’re beginning to barricade ourselves inside Powell, there is a solution!  Here’s a list of our five fave West LA study hotspots that are sure to help you survive those mid-quarter blues:

1. Espresso Profeta. 1129 Glendon Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90024

This little known Westwood coffee shop is a favorite for North Campus-ers. The funky café exhibits the work of local artists, has free wi-fi, and is guaranteed to have an eclectic mixture of indie music playing softly in the background. Although there is usually plenty of seating inside, Profeta’s quaint outdoor patio is always bustling with students and is the perfect spot to soak up the rays while the warm weather lasts. There’s no doubt about the inviting study vibe, but let’s not forget the coffee! These baristas know how to stir up a mean latte, and in case all of that studying is making you hungry, there’s an assortment of delectable goodies to fill your every craving. On a final note, did we mention that you’re bound to spot angsty college men rockin’ thick-rimmed glasses and Sperry’s? Yum.

2.  The Getty Center. 1200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90049

For all of you underclassmen that think getting to the Getty is impossible without a car, think again! Contrary to popular belief, public transportation can be convenient, affordable, and isn’t as “sketch” as you might think. The Metro Rapid Line 761 drives right past the Getty Center entrance making your travel time less than 15 minutes. What’s more, entrance to the center is completely free when you don’t have to pay for parking.  It gets better! The central garden features beautifully landscaped grounds with patios perfect for studying. Whether or not you choose to explore the exhibits, the Getty Center is a go-to when in search of a serene study environment. Besides, who chooses to catch up on reading in the dorms when you could be flanked by panoramic views of LA?  – And yes, they have food!

3.  Urth Caffé.  8565 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90038

It’s true, chain restaurants get a little monotonous, but this Los Angeles eatery is a must see! With locations in WeHo, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and Downtown, Urth Caffé is the place to go for all things organic. In addition to offering a wide variety of specialty organic coffee and tea blends, Urth serves up an assortment of delicious entrees, including several specialty vegan options. You’re bound to bump into an incognito celeb at this trendy coffee shop, but make sure not to lose your cool; we wouldn’t want you upsetting the laidback vibe of this ideal study hotspot.

4.  Ocean Avenue. Head West…The Pacific Ocean is hard to miss.

We know this isn’t the norm, but if you’re in the mood for some alone time what’s better than grabbing a bench right in front of the beach? Palm trees, sand, and sun are pretty hard to pass up if you ask us. 3rd Street Promenade is conveniently only one block away, providing even more study locations, and plenty of shopping if you’re in need of a break (although it can also be an almost irresistible distraction!) The Santa Monica Big Blue Bus is easy to use, and drops you off right in front of the sand and surf. With the sound of waves rolling gently in the background, and shirtless men jogging by with their golden retrievers, you’re certain to find inspiration.

5.  Starbucks. 10955 Weyburn Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024
We all know it. We all love it. Don’t let the crowds scare you away. Scout out a table and indulge in Zoolanders’ trademark mocha frappuccino.  FYI: Starbucks now has unlimited free Wi-Fi!

*Also get a taste of LA at its’ hippest by checking out Starbucks at 7624 Melrose Ave. for an awesome outdoor patio and even better people watching. 

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.