This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s that time of the quarter once again: time to panic! Finals are approaching, 10th week is here, move out is on the horizon… what to do first? Ah, how about procrastinate. Whether you’re too overwhelmed to function or simply breezing through your finals, we’d like to offer you a few DIY craft suggestions to help you kick off the summer or distract from the woes of finals.

1. T-shirt revamp

It’s the end of the school year, so we’ve likely all collected a varied assortment of free clothing – mostly UCLA apparel – over the past three quarters. Why not jazz up a baggy, plain or strange shirt by cutting strips in the bottom. You can knot the strips to make fringed designs – perfect for crop tops at the beach. 

2. Watercolor pillows

As you move out and then back into your new dorm/apartment, maybe it’s time for a change of decoration. Purchase some plain white pillows and use Sharpies to doodle any designs or words you want. Spritz rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle onto the pattern to make it bleed into this watercolor effect. 

3. Quotey mugs

Let’s be honest, all college students are addicted to coffee. Or tea. Again using Sharpies, you can decorate plain white ceramic mugs with your favorite quotes or friendly notes; anything from “Good Morning” to “Treat yo self.” Simply bake the mugs at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes to make permanent. It’s a great way to espresso yourself! 

4. Tribal feathers

For the more hipstery among us, you can purchase craft feathers and use bright colored paints to create faded designs. After drying, add white paint details, like dots, lines and dashes for the trendy tribal look. Add these to your wall for some nature-themed decor. 

5. Travel keepsake box

If you’re planning on travelling the globe this summer (or if you already have!) there’s no better way to showcase your memories than a keepsake or shadow box. On your trip, save any ticket stubs and receipts to create a collage with your photos. As shown above, one suggestion is to cut out photographs into letters, effectively producing a personalized souvenir. 

Photos courtesy of Pinterest. 

Lindsay was the president/editor-in-chief of the UCLA chapter of Her Campus from 2015-2018. She was previously the Viral Section Editor at Her Campus and an Editorial Intern at the headquarters in Boston. Lindsay grew up in Washington state and transitioned to love the Southern California sunshine while studying communications and environmental science at UCLA. Twitter: @WeinbergLindsay.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.