Emma Watson delivers another empowering speech about Gender Equality at the World Economic Forum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Brava to the Brown University and Hogwarts Alumna!

From breaking out of her renowned role as the Hermione Granger we have grown and loved during our Hogwarts generation, Emma Watson is truly become one of the admirable individuals we have considered as role models. I know I do!

Not only Emma Watson has branched out to not only just being a well known  model and actress, just last year she has gotten the position of UN Women Goodwill Ambassador and has successfully launched her campaign #HeForShe where she has impressed and voiced so many leaders and individuals around the world about gender equality.

And now, she has done it again for the second time and it’s just as excellent as the first. True to her former role as the well loved book worm from the Harry Potter series, Emma goes beyond!

Watson, 24,  gave an impassioned speech on Friday at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. 

The English beauty stated,

“Since He for She in New York last September, I think it would be fair to say that my colleagues and I have been stunned by the response. The He for She conference was watched over 11 million times, sparking 1.2 billion social media conversations, culminating in the #HeForShre hashtag becoming so popular that Twitter painted it on the walls of its headquarters. And men from almost every country in the world signed up to our commitment. Everyone, from Desmond Tutu to Prince Harry to Hillary Clinton to Yoko Ona have issued their support or contacted us since Sept. 20. Everything from marathons being run, merchandise being created, 15-year-old boys writing to national newspapers deploring female discrimination, young girls collecting hundreds of signatures—it’s all happened in the last four months. I couldn’t have dreamed it, but it’s happened.”

She then introduced the IMPACT 10x10x10 initiative  which she states and asks a thoughtful yet truthful question to many.

“It’s about engaging governments, businesses and universities and having them make concrete commitments to gender equality,” the actress said.

She then continues and asks,

“But I want to hear from the human beings that are behind these organizations. I spoke about some of my story in September. What are your stories?”

“Girls: Who have been your mentors?”

“Parents: Did you make sure you treated your children equally? If so, how have you done it?”

“Husbands: Have you been supporting your female partner privately so that she can fulfill her dreams, too?”

“Young men: Have you spoke up in a conversation when a woman was casually degraded or dismissed? How did this affect you? How did this affect the women you stood up for?”

“Businessmen: Have you mentored, supported or engaged women in leadership positions?”

“Writers: Have you challenged the language and imagery used to portray women in the media?”

“CEOs: Have you implemented the women’s empowerment principles in your own company? What change have you seen? Are you someone that has been persuading men to become He for Shes and collecting their signatures for their website? How many have you got?”

“We want to know,” Watson said. “We want to hear from you.”

Truly a inspiring woman to many, Emma Watson’s words has truly touched many and left to ponder those questions.

Check out her speech below!

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.