This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.
Jose Antonio Vargas is a successful journalist who holds the Pulitzer Prize under his belt. However, becoming the person he is was not easy. Overcoming his own challenges while growing up, he decides to make a film on the circumstances. The challenge? Living a life as an undocumented American. While he was in the making of the documentary, he encountered discriminatory remarks; nonetheless, is patient with the criticism he receives. From moving to America at the age of twelve to not seein his mother for almost two decades, Vargas makes the journey from travelng across the United States to tell groups of people his story. This is one of the most dangerous moves Vargas has pulled as he tells strangers that he is not documented. Regardless of his status, Vargas could become deported and be amogst of the millions of deportees. Vargas does not consider himself an illegal immigrant, but an undocumented American, as he has lived most of his life in the states and has contributed to society through his works of journalism.

Documented will premiere at the Regent Theatre in Westwood on Friday, May 9th. For locations and tickets, visit documentedthefilm.com
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.