Daniel Chikanov, Your Newly Elected General Representative!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Name: Daniel Chikanov
Year:
Sophomore
Major: Physiological Science

Her Campus: Besides being UCLA’s newly elected General Representative 2, what other activities are you involved in?
Daniel Chikanov: I am part of Student Alumni Association as a Education Director, Co-Captain of the UCLA’s Men Club Soccer team, a member of Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity, Spirit Ambassador for the UCLA Spirit Team, and a research assistant for USC Biokinetics department, and looking fly ;)

HC: What changes do you want to bring to UCLA with your position in USAC?
DC:  I have been working on strengthening the relationship between the Career Center, Alumni Association, and USAC in order to increase their exposure and accessibility to students. Many people don’t even know of the services the Career Center and the Student Alumni Association have to offer or even that they exist in the first place. Students will be able to acquire valuable knowledge and tools to attain the dream job they desire.

My second platform centers on revamping UCLA transportation and biking. Thousands of students get around campus and Westwood on bikes, skateboards, and scooters. The pavement around UCLA linking the campus to Westwood needs to be refurbished along with an installation of more bike racks to facilitate storage. By better integrating the local cyclist community this platform has the added benefit of increasing an environmentally friendly alternative to transportation needs in the area. In addition, to increasing cyclist safety, it will also give pedestrians the security of using the safer furnished pathways. Overall it will benefit all parties by simultaneously promoting campus safety and the freedom to choose one’s own method of transportation.

HC: With so many obligations, how do you make time to have fun and relax? What do you like to do on your down time?
DC: This is probably the busiest quarter I’ve ever had at UCLA, so it’s been a really exciting yet painful experience with midterms being back to back for the last 6 weeks. However, with that all being done, I was able to kick back and enjoy watching the last couple of rehearsals of Spring Sing as well as chilling with bros in the house. Other than the kickback, I’m all for traveling, wine n dine, movie nights, and hitting up the gym occasionally. Life is beautiful.

HC: Being so motivated must mean you have big dreams for the future, right? What would those dreams be?
DC: I have always had aspirations of being a huge businessman but that had just fell through when I realized that I care about people more than what is expected for business. With that, I took up a volunteer opportunity at Stanford Medical Center to see what the work is like in a hospital setting. I was put into Maternity section where I would be testing the babies’ hearing and their hand reflexes. From that point on, it really clicked as I was able to communicate effectively with patients and from that I loved my job. I definitely want to be a doctor of some kind, more in the area of family doctor, pediatrics, or sports medicine. This will not only give me the ability to talk to variety of people and learn about their view of life but it will give me the chance to give back to the community after all they have done for me. Throughout my life, it was hard to gain the respect from my peers because of my disability and so, I’ve always worked twice as hard to prove them wrong that not just because I’m hard of hearing, I can’t do it but I really can do it and twice as better. Those who always had faith and supported me throughout my life has a huge impact in helping me become who I am today.

HC: If you could give every woman at UCLA one comment or piece of advice, what would it be?
DC: Smile, you are more beautiful than you think you are. Life is too precious to take for granted, just sit back and enjoy the ride J.

HC: You ask on your USAC office application “What’s your life quote.” What is yours?
DC: “One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it’s worth watching”.

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.