Concert Review: Katy Perry, Noah Cyrus, Hailee Steinfeld & More Perform at Wango Tango

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

We were super excited to be able to attend 102.7 KIIS FM’s Wango Tango on Saturday March 13th at the StubHub Center in Carson. Wango Tango is an annual concert put on by the hit music station in Los Angeles. Each year they have a variety of trending pop performings and this year’s lineup included Katy Perry, Maroon 5, Niall Horan, Backstreet Boys, Zedd, Alessia Cara, Machine Gun Kelly, Camila Cabello, Hailee Steinfeld, Noah Cyrus, Halsey, Julia Michaels, and a special guest performance by Miley Cyrus.

UCLA Campus Correspondents Sara Zaghi and Lindsay Weinberg at Wango Tango.

Photo Credit: Sara Zaghi

Queen Katy Perry started the show off right by performing old hits such as “Firework” and “Teenage Dream” and even performing our newest favorites such as “Bon Appetite” and “Chained to the Rhythm”- which are all still stuck in my head.

Gif Credit: 102.7 KIIS FM/Giphy

Next on the Wango Tango stage was the talented Noah Cyrus, Miley’s younger sister. Noah just reminds us more of Miley each day. 

Photo credit: Jeff Kravitz / FilmMagic

Noah brought out Labrinth to perform “Make Me (Cry)” with her. At the end of her set, she brought out Miley to sing Happy Birthday and wish a Happy Mothers Day to their mom Tish.

Photo credit: Jeff Kravitz / FilmMagic

Miley seemed so proud of Noah for her entire performance. I have a feeling this is just the beginning for Noah. Hopefully we can get a duet with both Cyrus sisters!

Miley also perfomed at Wango Tango and it was actually her FIRST TIME performing her new song “Malibu.” After performing her newest number 1 single, Miley spoke to the audience about her excitement for this song and new music.

Photo credit: Jeff Kravitz / FilmMagic

“I really do feel like this is a dream come true, being able to sing this song “Malibu” for all of you all right here, right now. And I so look forward to continuing to release music that hopefully makes y’all smile and dance and be happy and full of peace and love”

Gif Credit: 102.7 KIIS FM/Giphy

Miley continued her set by performing a cover of “Jolene,” which was absolutely beautiful. I loved how Miley is going back to her country roots. She took us from “Malibu” to Tennesee real quick.

Hailee Steinfeld also took the stage and wowed us all with her amazing dancing skills. As if her amazing voice isn’t enough to captivate the audience. Steinfeld put on an amazing performance and had the entire audience singing- and dancing- along.

Gif Credit: 102.7 KIIS FM/Giphy

She performed all of our favorites: “Love Myself,” “Starving,” and even performed “At My Best” with Machine Gun Kelly. Other duets that night include MGK and Camila Cabello performing “Bad Things” and Zedd and Alessia Cara performing “Stay.” 

During her set, Julia Michaels shared how she never expected to be performing at Wango Tango and attended the year before as a fan. 

“Last year, I came here as a fan and now I’m performing…It’s so bizarre. I never thought this was going to be my life.”

Photo Credit: Sara Zaghi

Michaels performed her new single “Issues” and left us all wanting more. She stunned us all with her goregous colorful two piece outfit and kimono.

Niall Horan was also new to the Wango Tango stage. I was personally happy that Niall managed to perform at all since Zayn famously walked off stage last year at Wango Tango. Another One Direction band member, Liam Payne, was in the audience to support Niall and promote his new music as well.

Photo Credit: Sara Zaghi

Photo credit: Jeff Kravitz / FilmMagic

While it was most of these performers first times performing at Wango Tango, this was Maroon 5’s FIFTH time performing at Wango Tango. This was also Backstreet Boys and Miley Cyrus’ second time performing at Wango Tango as they performed in 2001 and 2008, respectively.

Photo credit: Kevin Winter / Getty Images

For me, the most exciting artist to see perform was Luis Fonsi who is known for his hit song “Despacito.” Fonsi’s performance got the entire audience on their feet- dancing and singing along. He also had back up dancers doing a sexy salsa/ballroom dance during his performance.

Photo Credit: Sara Zaghi

The show concluded with the Backstreet Boys. While most of us haven’t been around long enough to know every word to every Backstreet Boy song, seeing them perform live was amazing. I never thought that I would have the opportunity to see the the Backstreet Boy live and I also never really realize how many of their songs I knew and loved. It was so cool to see one of the original boy bands perform. 

Photo credit: Jeff Kravitz / FilmMagic

Thoughout their entire performance, I couldn’t help but think about One Direction doing a comeback tour in 10 or 20 years from now and what that would feel like as a fan. And, I have got to give it to them- the Backstreet Boys are pretty talented. They have still got it.

Photo credit: Jeff Kravitz / FilmMagic

Thank you to 102.7 KIIS FM for letting us cover this amazing concert! Be on the look out for additional Wango Tango coverage as well as our exclusive Red Carpet Interviews.

Sara Zaghi was the Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief of Her Campus at UCLA, which rose to the #1 chapter in the Her Campus Chapter Network of 370+ Campuses during her tenure, from 2015-2019. Zaghi is a self-proclaimed "Professional Fangirl” and currently works in entertainment and fashion publicity. In 2016, Sara was listed as one of Her Campus' Top 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women. Check out Sara's College Girl's Travel Guides for Catalina Island, Las Vegas, New York, Napa Valley, Boston, and Chicago. Contact Sara via email: Sara_Zaghi@yahoo.com